Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Z11, 396 4spd with 57K miles. It is a great driver and fairly tight. In the past few months it has developed a front end shimmy/bounce around 45-50MPH. Before and after okay. I have recently replaced the OE polyglass with radials (this helped initially but it seems to be getting back to where it was before), balanced all tires, rotated all tires, aligned the front end, had the drive shaft checked for balance and replaced front wheel bearings. Car also has new rear end rear if any consolation. Mechanic says shocks look good, the car and front end are tight and could offer no additional suggestions. Any thoughts?

D

·
0 Posts
Have a buddy, with a 69, that put new classic rims and had the same problem. He had the front end aligned, balanced the tires twice and it turned out to be one of the rims was out of round.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Have heard that by rotating the tire on the rim you can determine the position that would require the least amount of weight to balance the assembly. This would take a little extra time at the tire store,but hopefully would solve your problem. I would hesitate doing business with anyone that would not take the time to do this.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Because the 1st gen Camaros are so floppy, due to the inherent design, the body mounting rubber can be a culprit of setting up resonance at speed. Check the rubber..if it's worn replace it.

Weak shocks on the REAR or front can set up vibrations and resonance in the front as well.

Good luck.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets

·
Registered
91 Posts
just so u know an alignment cant cauz it it is usually always a tire or rim or both get em balaneced and spun 180 degrees on the rim if neccesary and haveing loose mounts or front end parts can magnafy the shimmy allot

·
Retired
16,008 Posts
One possibility is one of the radials seperated an inner layer belt. That will cause a measureable wobble. That should be covered under warranty by the tire co.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,ps,am/fm,4.10 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts