Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a 70-73 front end complete bolt right up to an 80 camaro with no drilling or modifications?? this is a topic of large debate between me and several of my co workers i have heard they will some say they wont!! well i bought my wife a 80 z/28 350 4 speed t-tops and i hate the look of the front end so was wondering if it is possable with no major mods???? thanx Tony

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
dunno. maybe, maybe not. park a couple side by side and see what looks the same.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't know for sure Tony but I'd say yes. The doors are the same, the subframe is the same. I think it would look nice with an eary RS nose. Put the 80 Z/28 hood scoop on it also because.............they look cool!
Roger

·
Registered
58 Posts
It can be done, it has been done.

If you have ever single piece of sheetmetal (except for hood which is the same) and every nut and bolt that is forward of the firewall for the '70 - '73 front then you can stick it on the '80 with no problems. The attachment points for the fenders is the same, the hoods are the same, etc. The core supports are different, but (again) if you have everything then that is not a problem.

Most guys trying to do this usually lack some of the pieces, so then the fun begins. Later 2gen fender are 95% the same as earlier ones, for example. If your fab skills are good this is not a problem. If you are looking for a bolt on deal then you need almost everything.

I have seen later 2gens get completely converted to the '70 - '73 look. In addition to the front end you will also need to change tail panels and make the rear window smaller to pass the "fast look" test. To fool an expert you would also need to change the trunk floor and the floor pans, but these aren't as obvious.

2gens were made for 12 years, so with enough effort you can transform any year to any other year (isn't that what GM did?).

Drop by nastyz28.com for 2gen specific chin wagging.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
although i've never seen it actually performed in person, i too am sure it can be done. there was a plastic bumper late 70 early 80's camaro that used to run around town with a 70 split bumper front end. it looked like a perfect fit. but, with that said, it looked goofy as hell IMO. if you swapped the front end, you might as well do the rear too, together they just dont like right, to me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The guy that painted my 69 drives a 72 with a 78-80 front clip bolted on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts