Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, I have a dumb question. My 68 was painted before I bought it and the PO put "396" fender emblems on the front fenders. I would like to change the numbers to 427, but not sure which ones to buy that uses only 2 pins with nuts (see attached pics). Can anyone identify who makes a 427 that is connected as 1 piece, and installed like the existing ones?
I dont want to mess up the paint or drill a bunch of holes, if I use VHB tape Im afraid the holes will be uncovered. Thanks for any help.
Hood Automotive lighting Grille Car Lcd projector

Material property Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Sleeve Helmet Grey

·
Registered
143 Posts
I wrestled with the same dilemma with not wanting to drill more holes when replacing 327 emblems with Z28's - so with trying to find a way to use the existing holes i decided to work with using the Z's to cover them. These are the emblem comparing the hole location:

Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Automotive exterior Material property

I snipped off the Z speed nut posts and used a strong flexible fastener like Honda Bond and then used Permatex to seal off the inner fender side to prevent water from seeping in. because of the difficulty of covering the existing holes the emblems are slightly off to where they should be but I can live with it. It helps that having a template available to get it as close as possible.

Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
27 Posts
Howdy all, I have a dumb question. My 68 was painted before I bought it and the PO put "396" fender emblems on the front fenders. I would like to change the numbers to 427, but not sure which ones to buy that uses only 2 pins with nuts (see attached pics). Can anyone identify who makes a 427 that is connected as 1 piece, and installed like the existing ones?
I dont want to mess up the paint or drill a bunch of holes, if I use VHB tape Im afraid the holes will be uncovered. Thanks for any help. View attachment 290689
View attachment 290688
View attachment 290687
Heartbeat city has 427 fender emblems that states they fit in the factory 396 holes. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I would use mirror mounting tape. Grind the posts off the back of the emblem. Use the original holes as reference to align the new emblem.

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. I figured I would end up grinding pins and I do have some 3M VHB tape. Im going to look at Heartbeat City.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro 454 LS6, Holley 950, Tremec 5 speed, Currie 9 in
48 Posts
I have used 3M double sided molding tape.
3M 03614 Scotch-Mount 1/2" x 15' Molding Tape
I snip off the pins and grind down what is left . Apply the tape and use a new x-acto blade to trim it. Make sure the paint surface is clean before applying. I use denatured alcohol. It works great. I had to remove one a few months later and I had to use a heat gun to get it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts