Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm trying to remove my rear end as a whole assembly but can't get the drivers side front mount to drop down, it's the only thing left.

got everything both rear shackles undone, shocks unbolted and rear leafs hanging on blocks basically.

the passenger side was rusted through the floor so didn't need to unbolt it.

I got all 3 bolts off, I've hit down on it a few times with a sledge hammer on the leaf, and nothing wondering am I missing something?
Wood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

Blue Wood Gas Beam Metal

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Someone might have had it off before and put bolts down through the floor and torque box. Thats why you see the threaded portion of the bolt there. Typically the clip nuts break off leaving you with cutting the floor to get to the nut backside to get the spring perch off. Look inside the car at the floor and check it out.

Scot

Reactions: sklip

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
It must be rusted together. Here is a photo of the brackets completely removed.

Wood Auto part Metal Art Carmine

This is what you will see under the bracket.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

My car is a 1969 model. It has captive nuts fastened to the body. The bracket is held on by bolts. Yours might be a 1967 model. Yours looks to have studs and the brackets are held on with nuts. Other than this difference, I would think they would be very similar.

Reactions: wireboy355

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Tap the spring side to side to break the bolts loose from the spring hanger. It's just rust holding it . It should have clip nuts like mentioned earlier. No big deal. Just have to convince it to come down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try beating on it tonight again tonight when I get home. I looked at the top of the floor and doesn't appear that someone put bolts through the top, so I'm guessing they are j nuts but will make threads.

Buy wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a bolt or something stupid.

·
16,409 Posts
I'll try beating on it tonight again tonight when I get home. I looked at the top of the floor and doesn't appear that someone put bolts through the top, so I'm guessing they are j nuts but will make threads.

Buy wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a bolt or something stupid.
The picture posted appears to show threaded stock protruding 1/2” - 3/4” from the 3 bolt hole locations.

·
Registered
1968, 327/210hp, saginaw 4 speed, no options
37 Posts
I had this very same issue. Both 67CruiseMasterCamaro and tp_smith are correct. Those should not be bolts coming down from the body so work was defiantly done to it. Those bolts look strange. Plus the bolt hole opening on the bracket is larger than usual (mine were oval). Not sure if those are washers that are rusted to the bracket or part of the bolt. May have to grind those off. Below is mine - before and after.

Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Fixture Wood Door Auto part Gas

·
Registered
1968, 327/210hp, saginaw 4 speed, no options
37 Posts
Once you get the leaf spring down and bolts cut (if that is what your going to do). You still need to replace those bolts. Only way to fully remove and replace is to access them from above by cutting into the floor. You should see evidence of that from the previous replacement. I got lucky and I was able to pull the old clip nut and remaining cut bolt out of the body without cutting into the floor.
Hood Automotive tire Trunk Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If you are going to put the captive clip nuts back on, I highly suggest that you run the bolts in and out of the clip nuts a couple of times to break in the nut and threads. Also use antisieze on them. Use all the bolts to run in and out of the nuts. Not the same bolt to all nuts. Just wanted to make sure what the object here is.

Scot

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I went overkill on mine.. lol
Wood Gas Machine Font Metal

1 - 17 of 17 Posts