Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what was too small for front tires for drag racing. My Nova will see frequent strip action so I wanted to get another set of rims and put a set of PepBoys Futura 165R15 with a 4-5.5in wide wheel and 275/50/15 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial Drag Tires with 8.5in wheels. Both tires are about 26in tall. I'm looking at the Centerline Auto Drags or Weld Racing Pro Stars but any wheel suggestions would be cool also. Are these front tires any good for drag use or would they just blow up??? What tires do you guys use for front runners that'll get you to and from the track???

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,443 Posts
I ran some 15X3.5" Centerlines with 165/15 Michelins in the early 80's. Looked great but cornering was an issue!

We'll just leave this one in the tires/wheels section. Please try to post questions in one forum, make the search feature work a lot better and keeps things un-cluttered.

Jody

·
19,786 Posts
I have the Prostars and the fronts are 5" w/ 205/60/15's. I still don't like to take corners at high speed.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I ran 165R15's on the front of several cars. I even went with a 15 X 3.5" rim. I never had any problem at the track or on the street. Obviously with 4-6" wide tires you aren't going to be doing any high speed cornering. I never had an issue with normal driving habits. I think I would look at a little better tire than the Futura. Kuhmos are nice, Michelins are nice, etc.. I ran the MT front runners for a while and they didn't stop well or wear very well.

I don't think I would run street radials (165R15's) on an 8 second car but, if you have a street car you are probably not going to be running 8's.

In short there should not be a problem running those tires up front. I will be running them on my current project as well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Originally posted by DOUG G:
I have the Prostars and the fronts are 5" w/ 205/60/15's. I still don't like to take corners at high speed.
15x5? I dont see those listed in jeggs or summit.

edit
My bad, they are on their website.

·
19,786 Posts
Yes, 15's front and rear.the 5" were the narrowest<is that a word?> that were street approved...I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts