Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently heard of aftermarket seat extensions that can be installed without hacking or drilling, and consist of 2 metal tracks that install under the front seats in order to give the driver about 2" extra leg room. I own a 67 SS/RS and stand 6' 6" so I could use the extra leg room. I want to keep my beautiful black Camaro as close to origional as possible and don't want to drill holes where they don't belong, but can not find the extensions anywhere. Any good ideas ?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I used to see them on ebay, but haven't in awhile. I suspect you could make a set out of 1/4"x3" bar stock.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a 68 convertible and I am 6'6"(actually, 6'5 3/4" to be exact). I took my car to Markel's here in Los Angeles. I'm sure you have a custom interior/convertible top shop in your town as well. Just tell the guy what you want and have him do it. Odds are, he's done lots of them before. My guy has done lots of different cars for players like the Lakers, etc. Had my car done in about 3 hours! Very clean. Gained about 4 inches, and still doesn't touch the back seat. And, if the wife drives, she can move the seat forward. Luckily she's 5'8".
Basically two thick pieces of steel, bolted where the seats originally bolted to, and new holes drilled and nuts welded on the new steel. No new holes or drilling required to your car. Any time you want to change back to stock...no problem, and no new holes to cover up.
The added bonus is that the seat also reclines just a little as it goes back (because the seat is mounted at an angle)to give you more headroom as well. This is now the most comfortable car I have EVER driven! You can see the result on my car in the pics in my signature.

·
Retired
16,044 Posts
ask and ye shall receive had them made by local machine shop, he charged me $25

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey Steve thats a sixty 8 consold but where did you get the arm rest and how does it fit in there.Thats great I am looking for that too?

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
Originally posted by FastFred:
Hey Steve thats a sixty 8 consold but where did you get the arm rest and how does it fit in there.Thats great I am looking for that too?
I have one just like Steve's. It fits over the stock console and can be removed and set in the trunk when you leave the car parked somewhere. I got mine from NPD...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Is that really 3/8 inch thick steel? (Almost half an inch thick just to hold your seat on?) That seems awfully thick. 3/16 seems like it would be more than thick enough, or would you suggest I double up a piece of 3/16?

·
Super Moderator
33,190 Posts
Stick with the 3/8 inch thick material. You have to think of the momentum, amount of a moving weight, verses static weight in case of a crash.

Don't double up 3/16 plate, still too flexible.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I did the very same thing to my 67. I hid the extensions under the carpeting, just punching a hole thru the carpet for the bolts I had welded to the bar stock that the seat bolts to. Can't see the bars and looks stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts