Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am redoing my interior and my question is do the seat's brakets go under or over the carpet? I have a precut/preformed 2 piece carpet and its my first time doing an interior. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
The rear feet get a square 3-sided cut-out. (Both sides and front) so that the carpet hinges rearward. After the feet are bolted in, the flap is replaced over them.
For the front, the rear carpet piece is cut out so that the feet are bolted directly to the seat platform. The front carpet is positioned so the rear edge of the carpet is even with the front of the vertical part of the seat bracket, thus covering the seat foot and bolt.

First I positioned the seats without carpet, to determine which holes in the brackets and the floor pedestal should be used. I measured the locations of the holes so that I could find them after the carpet was installed. Then, I installed the rear piece of carpet. Next, I used an awl to locate the correct bolt holes. I removed the brackets from the seats, and used them as templates to determine proper locations for the cut-outs in the rear carpet.

Some previous posts on this subject described bolting over the carpet. That will work, but is not "correct"

I confirmed that the cut out method is correct by looking at an unrestored original Yenko at the Supercar Reunion. It was an original-owner car, and the owner confirmed that he had never had the carpet out.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
CFunk,
No I did not take any pics "in process", but I can take some and post them when I get my car back.

It's at the painter's for some minor surgery. Discovered, (after paint, or course) that the radius in the corner of the windshield recess does not match the chrome trim. (result of previous owner's rust repair) The painter is reshaping the area with a die grinder. He thinks he can cut the paint right at the roof line, and not need to blend it into the roof, itself. He's worked other miracles, let's hope he can work one more!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts