1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
I really like Bilstein shocks. Great monotube shock for a decent price.

Don

Reactions: ctcz28

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
For the price Kyb are pretty good.
If you're talking about the gray body KYB that are around $20-30 ea. those were the worst riding brand new shocks I've ever tried or ridden on in any old car.
I gave them away after driving around the block a couple of times.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It’s all good. I just put a set on my 69 this fall and it rides pretty nice for being 50 years old. I’m positive there are why better ones. But I replaced a set of pretty old ones with the kyb shocks also so I’m comparing them to that !😬

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If you're talking about the gray body KYB that are around $20-30 ea. those were the worst riding brand new shocks I've ever tried or ridden on in any old car.
I gave them away after driving around the block a couple of times.
That's about right! For $20-30 you would be better to put a 2x4 in there.

Bilsteins are a very good choice.

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
I had Koni Shocks on my '69 back in the mid to late '70s and I am running Koni Classic's on my '69 ragtop w/ Hotchkis drop springs and very happy with them. They are adjustable so if you are doing track time in your car install them on the stiffer setting, for the street the softer setting still gives good control in the corners.

·
10,158 Posts
Bilsteins are low cost and ride well, but the shocks use very small pistons which don't control well. If you look at your stock shock placement in the middle of the lower A arm, the shock moves half as much as the lower ball joint and less than half of the wheel. So the shock is at a mechanical disadvantage at the start, then using a small piston slows shock response even more. Where it shows up as, is lack of shock control over small wheel movements, the wheel has to move a lot before the shock "knows" it.

More ideal is for the shock to be mounted closer to the lower Ball Joint and have a larger piston area so it starts pumping fluid through the valves sooner. Then it needs to have the right valving and have long lasting components so it won't leak or wear out.

I like the Ride Tech shocks the best, gas charged single piston, high quality, guaranteed for life. Single adjust (Rebound) is the best value so you can tune your ride quality. The Koni's are hydraulic twin tube, so the piston is small like the Bilstein but they are adjustable so that's a plus. The Bilstein ride well for being so small, they are small piston gas. Not something I'd autocross a lot with using aftermarket springs. OK for street use. On the rear, switching from a hydraulic Koni to gas shock will raise the car 1/2" due to the gas pressure. Gas pressure also gives the efffect of a stiffer spring. Most gas shocks add 40 pounds of force.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts