Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my car running after 30 years. 1st maiden voyage was 100 ft. Heard hard rubbing going straight. Got out and noticed the car had settled almost completely down on the tire. Worse on the passenger. The back seems to be riding lower on the driver side.

Most everything has been rebuilt and replaced. Is my combination wrong or is my installation incorrect? I did the front suspension a couple of years ago and I don’t recall how I torqued the control arms. Maybe that is part of the problem?

i have not had an alignment yet.

here is my combo

Front.
original control arms with all new bushings and ball joints. Eaton 2 inch drop springs. New spindles with front disc conversion. Rebuilt steering box no upgrades. New pitman arm. new tie rods. New shocks.

torque thrust d 15x7 with 3.75 backspacing. BFG 225/60/15

back
15x8 torque thrust d with 4.5 backspacing. BFG 255/60/15
Hotchkis 1.5 lowering springs

Sure would appreciate some advice.
Rob Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
The “correct“ backspacing for a 7” wheel is 4.25”. That will move the tire in .5”.

Are those drop spindles?

Try getting a front end alignment with .5 degrees of negative camber. looks like you have positive camber there.

Did you tighten down the control arms and leaf springs when the car was sitting on its weight on the ground?

Don

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not order drop spindles but it has been awhile. Any idea what would the measurements be to compare mine to?

any guess as to how much .5 degrees of negative camber would pull in from the centerline. I do indeed have positive camber and the toe in is off as well.

I didn’t see torque thrusts with 4.25 bs.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
I did not order drop spindles but it has been awhile. Any idea what would the measurements be to compare mine to?

any guess as to how much .5 degrees of negative camber would pull in front the centerline. I do indeed have positive camber and the toe in is off as well.

I didn’t see torque thrusts with 4.25 bs.
It will pull in a fair mount but an exact number can’t be given without knowing the current camber. Just add some shims to add negative camber.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
A lot of disc brake conversions come with drop spindles.

Don

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much gap between the wheel lip and top of the tire should I expect with 2 in drop springs?

I’ll look at the spindles. Currently I can barely squeeze my fingers in the top of the wheel opening.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
It seems a little hard to believe your car is dropped 4 inches, two inches from the springs and two inches from the spindles judging from the pics but I guess it’s possible. I wouldn’t characterize your ride height as too low based on the pic.

I think you can’t fit your hand because you have so much positive camber and wheels with the wrong backspacing…. :)

Don

Reactions: rp930

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems a little hard to believe your car is dropped 4 inches, two inches from the springs and two inches from the spindles judging from the pics but I guess it’s possible. I wouldn’t characterize your ride height as too low based on the pic.

I think you can’t fit your hand because you have so much positive camber and wheels with the wrong backspacing…. :)

Don
Ok. That helps. Thanks for your advice.

it is amazing how much a few dips in the driveway settled everything. Prior to the ‘cruise’ I could get my hand in between.

I’ll start shimming and see if I get enough clearance. I fear I may be buying some new stuff to fix the combo issue I have.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
5,078 Posts
Wrong back spacing and positive camber as mentioned. Plus, most if not all disk conversions move the wheel out an additional 1/4". Lay a level vertically on the wheel (you may have to use equal spacers to clear the tire) and add shims equally to each upper control arm bolt until the level is reading plumb or slightly in at the top (neg. camber). That will also change the toe.

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
526 Posts
I have the same springs, wheels/tires front and rear with disc brake conversion (fronts came on car when I bought it, I installed the rear disc conversion. The PO used 2" lowering blocks in rear. The rear discs moved wheel out about 7/16. I had to roll the rear fenders and add rear sway bar to stop the rub. Also the PO rolled the front fenders. I want to drop the front 1 more inch for a total of 3". This winter I plan to tear into the front end to inspect and update anything in need.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have moved the toe and camber in some. It will still hit with my current backspacing. Here is a better side view. Is this consistent with dropping 2 inches below standard ride height?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
if you post a pic of your spindle...we should be able to see if its a drop spindle

Regarding height, a short fix for a drop spring/spindle to raise it is a coil spacer. 1/4" spacer would raise it 1/2"

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
526 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Heres mine, it doesnt sit as low as yours. Mine is a big block with aluminum heads now Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
Here is a vintage photo. OP’s car does not look 4” lower than this to me but I am getting old and senile….

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Wow thats funny. Thanks for the accolades. Im not sure what to say about your stance, again until I tear down the front end I wont know what the PO did. He said he replaced the subframe. I wonder if its something other than a Camaro one would: A) fit or B) have suspension geometry that different.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
Thinking about it a little more I don’t think 2” drop spindles will work with 15” wheels. The tie rods will hit the wheel.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
Those do not look like drop spindles to me but let’s see what the drop spindles experts say….

Don

1 - 20 of 36 Posts