Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the conversion idea from this website and happen to have a digital camera available throughout the conversion. Listed below are the steps and accompanying pictures:

1: Cut out the old speaker
Step 1

2: Weld in speaker mounting tabs and drill holes
Step 2

3: Mount speakers
Step 3

other side of assembly -
Other Side

4: Glue black material to the top:
Step 4

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and it only took a couple of hours to do.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The black material is nice because you will be able to see some brighter colors through the speaker openings. The dark material masks this ... Also, it keeps small pieces of trash or debris from falling into the speaker cones and creating a rattle ... Don't skip this step.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Low cost too. I bought the speakers off of Ebay for $22 and that included shipping.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I bought the Kenwood set-up fro Classic Industries...looks very similar to what you have,nice job by the way,cars not running yet anxious to here what they sound like too!

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
You know they make a replacement speaker that already comes with two speakers. It has two voice coils, two positives, and two negatives.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I did something similar with mine. They will sound better if you block all the open space around the speakers with something. You want the speakers pushing the air forward, not around themselves. Think of a fan in a window. It works much better if the sides are blocked.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Why waste your time with that speaker to begin with??? Put speakers in the doors, the rear deck, or even in the head rests. Don't bother with that junk speaker. It doesn't matter what type of speaker you put there, it isn't going to sound good. I had mine updated until I realized it didn't make a difference and then did it right.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I don't know what GM was thinking when they came up with that setup anyway. Why put a speaker in the dash? Kick panels, doors, rear deck, or rear side panels. All great places, but the dash, NO.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
The speaker I had was a Pioneer. You say that is going to blow? Then basscat is going to have the same problem.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i've had the dual speaker setup for over 2 years now , not blown up yet but i do fade to the back more!

·
Retired
26,642 Posts
Damn guys have a little respect for someone using their skills... When the speaker went in the dash it was right above the radio and most people had never heard of stereo or needing more than one speaker. 1960's remember...

As for putting two small speakers up in the ones place that's a lot more practicle than cutting up orig door and kick panels in a 40 yr old car. Shoot for that matter who wants to cut holes in $500 replacement door panels!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Damn guys have a little respect for someone using their skills.. Shoot for that matter who wants to cut holes in $500 replacement door panels!
I agree on both counts, id never even consider hacking a hole in my deluxe door panels, and i believe i will do the same type mod on mine only I will angle the speakers twords each side to increase stereo separation.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I had the dual speaker set up in my dash and it sounded really rinky-dink. No bottom and with the speakers only about one inch apart, no stereo effect. So, I took them out and put the 4x6's in the kick panels. Much better now. Have 6x9's in the rear deck also.

·
Retired
26,642 Posts
I had the dual speaker set up in my dash and it sounded really rinky-dink. No bottom and with the speakers only about one inch apart, no stereo effect. So, I took them out and put the 4x6's in the kick panels. Much better now. Have 6x9's in the rear deck also.
I have 4x6 speakers in the factory kick panel location and the 2 speaker setup under the dash. The 2 speaker deal blows away the new 2 way 4x6's I just installed. Stereo seperation is limited in the factory speaker placement but from there it's the speaker quality and what's driving them. My nice new 4x6's cut out on base notes if I turn it up at all...

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I'm doing both. Two 4" speakers in the stock dash location, and 140 watt speakers in the kick panels. Bought the Classic Industries kick panels. Also putting 4" speakers in the rear of the car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts