Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install a front spoiler on my '69 and was wondering:
should i use the 3 piece brackets or bolt directly to the valance panel? I've heard the panel can get screwed up by hitting curbs, etc. if the brackets are installed.
Any experiences with this installation?
(BTW, im not showing the car, its a driver, so correctness is not a high priority.. )

------------------
My '69 Camaro Convertible

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I had the same concerns when I put one on my 69. But after discussing it here, I was convinced to use the brackets. You do need them to keep the spoiler from flexing and bending while driving at speed. Also, the attachment to the valance is pretty weak; it could tear off just from the wind.

I have bumped the spoiler (once or twice) on a curb and once while entering a driveway (car is lowered ~ 2") and the brackets are what saved the spoiler from damage. They are strong.

Use them!

joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1506559&a=11674961

·
Registered
306 Posts
I once pulled over a curb stop and folded the front spoile under on my 69 Z. Boy was I glad I didn't have brakets on at the time. It's an original spoiler car and has the hole in the frame for the center bracket... I've since raised the car a bit and installed the brackets. The spoiler is much stronger with the brakets, just beware... Not much help huh.
PS No spoiler brakets for my Pace Car until I raise it some...

------------------
69 Z/28
69 Z11
www.camarogenerations.com

[This message has been edited by X77D80 (edited 06-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
I installed my spoiler last year without using the brackets. I've had no problems at all. The sheet metal screws sem to do the trick. I do have the brackets in case I want to use them. It's nice to save weight where you can

1 - 5 of 5 Posts