Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you have the all time favorite plastic replacement but, what else is there? Y'all Add to my list, who/what have I missed?
I'm leaning hard towards the ss396 spoiler

SS396 has one that looks interesting, looks the same as the one from Spoilers By Andy
1967-1968 Camaro Pro Touring Front Spoiler Kit Black

looks the same as the one from Spoilers By Andy

Anvil

Unlimited products

What don't I know that I don't know?

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Since I'm on #4 in five years or so, $100 would be about my limit,
and it's already cracked, a steep exit out of a parking lot got my current one.

I'd consider the ss396 one though.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Most folks would not tell the difference, another $100 for what? It does look cool though. I am sure it breaks just like the OEM, I never even replaced them on 2 of my 69's.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,569 Posts
I'm looking at the posts talking about front spoilers for 67-69 Camaros and wondering what I'm missing. I've had my spoiler-less '68 up to about 110 or so and haven't noticed any lack of stability. My car is lowered a bit (not dramatically) and has a pretty stout suspension and wide tires all around.

Do the front spoilers really make a noticeable difference at reasonable (80mph and lower) speeds - has anyone done a before and after test in a pro-touring type car?

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,809 Posts
I'm looking at the posts talking about front spoilers for 67-69 Camaros and wondering what I'm missing. I've had my spoiler-less '68 up to about 110 or so and haven't noticed any lack of stability. My car is lowered a bit (not dramatically) and has a pretty stout suspension and wide tires all around.

Do the front spoilers really make a noticeable difference at reasonable (80mph and lower) speeds - has anyone done a before and after test in a pro-touring type car?
My car is bone stock as far as suspension goes. I tried a front spoiler mainly to see if I liked the look. I was pleasantly surprised how much difference it made in front end stability starting at ~60 mph. There's a recent thread with a link to testing.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,569 Posts
My car is bone stock as far as suspension goes. I tried a front spoiler mainly to see if I liked the look. I was pleasantly surprised how much difference it made in front end stability starting at ~60 mph. There's a recent thread with a link to testing.
I saw the post. I've got a full on pro-touring suspension, front and rear. Modern alignment, big tires (275-45-17 fronts, 295-35-18 rears, I think) and I just don't get any instability - hence my question. I run lots of caster, good negative camber gain in turns - no sense of instability. Am I insensitive, or is the improvement something mostly seen with 50+ year old suspension geometries and tires?

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
I saw the post. I've got a full on pro-touring suspension, front and rear. Modern alignment, big tires (275-45-17 fronts, 295-35-18 rears, I think) and I just don't get any instability - hence my question. I run lots of caster, good negative camber gain in turns - no sense of instability. Am I insensitive, or is the improvement something mostly seen with 50+ year old suspension geometries and tires?
If you don't have any handling problems, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you just want the front of the car to look lower or more "sporty".

These guys thought it helped.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to give the GroundUp SS396 one a try. Ordered a few minutes ago, guy said they have them in stock so we'll see how long it takes to get it.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,809 Posts
Mike, No doubt your setup is superior to my stock setup. I'm running modern alignment specs with 3.5* positive caster (max for my setup) and larger than stock tires but no where near the tire size you're able to run. My car also sits high. I do have the factory fast ratio box.
With that said the spoiler did help stability on my car.
If you don't have any handling problems, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you just want the front of the car to look lower or more "sporty".
X2

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,809 Posts
I'm going to give the GroundUp SS396 one a try. Ordered a few minutes ago, guy said they have them in stock so we'll see how long it takes to get it.
Frank, I came very close to buying that spoiler. Let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just 1 more,
Very interested in what you think about the spoiler, I've been looking at them for a bit. It's hard to pay a third of the item cost in shipping also [I know it's over sized shipping] but apparently it's a SS396 exclusive product so no other buying options closer to me.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just 1 more,
Very interested in what you think about the spoiler, I've been looking at them for a bit. It's hard to pay a third of the item cost in shipping also [I know it's over sized shipping] but apparently it's a SS396 exclusive product so no other buying options closer to me.
I'll take lots of pictures and report back once it gets here.
A third in shipping cost? Try more like almost half :mad:. You're absolutely right about the shipping cost.. it's ridiculous but, it does seem to be exclusive to them and what the hell.. it's only money
MERCHANDISE INVOICE TOTAL $ 109.99
SHIPPING & HANDLING $ 47.76
INVOICE TOTAL $ 157.75

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,240 Posts
Like others, I've been thinking about this spoiler, its been discussed on FB recently. Rather than spend the $45 on shipping, they are close enough to me (should be under an hour) that I can take a ride and go look before I buy it. My current spoiler is fine, but I never really like the way it abruptly ends. This one (SS396), like the steel Randy's, has a bit of a wrap-around that might look nicer. The spoiler is actually made by a company called "Addictive Flow" so if you want to search that brand and where its available, you might find its closer to you. Here's a couple pix mounted on a '69.

1621453851314.png Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 3.49.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 5.10.11 PM.png

For those who like the carbon fiber look, they are offering it in a CF hydrodip that's clear coated. I would most likely paint mine Lemans Blue since its not that big.

Mike

·
20,439 Posts
I looked at that one from SS396.... but my past luck with spoilers wouldn't let me do it......YET ;)

See how this cheapie $30 one does.... 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,240 Posts
Ok, i'm impressed with the speed of shipping .. The spoiler is pretty thin and flimsy but i'm sure once it's bolted up it'll be fine.
by F G, on Flickr
Mounting holes marked? Are you going to paint it or leave it black? Wanna see that when its mounted. Looks decent as far as shape goes. I think the '69 version is a little shallower?-Mike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts