Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to chassis dyno my car, so I took the front spoiler off so it wouldn't get in the way of the straps they you to hold the car. Usually on the highway my car will run right at my thermostat, which is a 180*. But with the front spoiler off it was running about 15 degrees warmer. Unless there is something else wrong, I think the front spoiler has a pretty good effect on cooling. Anyone else notice this?

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23

·
Registered
58 Posts
It may be that straped to a chassis dyno, you aren't getting the same air circulation as you would driving on the highway.

------------------
69 Chevelle SS
Camaro Parts Network, http://www.camaro1.com

·
10,164 Posts
It should aid air flow through the radiator. The spoiler blocks some of the air from entering under the car, making for a lower pressure area under the engine, this should pull more air through the radiator at highway speeds.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Igotta, I guess I worded it wrong. I meant to say I took the spoiler off at home, and while driving to the dyno the temps on the highway were more than usual. Front spoilers are good for several reasons,

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
In the 70's I put a front spoiler on my 240Z and saw the same cause/effect. Neat!

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
I agree with what David said about the air flow and the low pressure under the car but it's a bit puzzling that you jumped to 195 without the spoiler. Knowing my own experience's, my first '69 didn't have a spoiler and ran 180 steady as a rock.
I don't know of anything different done to non spoiler cars to keep this from happening.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 06-03-2002).]

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Dennis, the way I see it, it depends on how close to the edge the cooling system is on a particular car.

If your cooling capacity was on the edge with the spoiler and then removed it, it could have an effect. If you had excess capacity before removing the spoiler, it may have no effect when removed. The factory did not change the cooling system when a spoiler was added so it was not an issue for stock or mild configurations in original condition.

Just a logical guess.

-Mark.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Mark (stingr69) I agree, you said exactly what I couldn't find the words to say. It's hard to suggest to someone who's temps run 180, that their system may not be functioning at it's potential.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts