Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What differences would there be between big block springs and small block springs up front. Would ride characteristics be the only difference or would it make a big difference in ride height...Thanks...BBS...

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Big block springs run from 380 to 400+ and small block springs 325 to 340 or therea bouts. They will probably set the front down 1 1/2" maybe 2" depending on wear and tear on them???
And generally not support the frontend stiffly enough for performance driving, but OK for straight line accelleration (i.e. dragging).
You really can't tell unless you try your stance or rake and see if you actually want your car to look and behave the way it will with the weaker springs.

Sorry, can't be more helpful, but we've beat this stuff about springs to death and generally came to the conclusion that it boils down to a trial and error type deal because we don't seem to come up with a spring constant formula/frontend weight of vehicle that is accurate enough to be able to calculate good enough to suit us.

David Pozzi has advised that he thinks that he's found a spring K formula thats close if you want to do a search on it. But then you will need to weigh the fron half of your car to get front tire loading data for it. Good luck. pdq67

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I cant give you all the #s, but I do know what they do look like. I know a guy that put a 402 in a small blk. car and the front end sat really low. I thought there was a big difference in how the BB ft end sits when theres a BB in it compared to a SB ft. end when a BB sits in it.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My proplem is that my car dosen't have a drivetrain in it yet. I am going to put a smallblock in it but I think the springs that are in it now are for a big block.My main concern is that I don't want the car to sit too high on the front end...Thanks again...BBS....

·
10,142 Posts
Big block springs are almost the same rate as smallblock but taller.
You could cut a coil off and be close if you have the big block springs, but I'm just guessing.

It would be best to buy aftermarket performance springs around 550 lbs per inch rate for best handling.
When you lower a Camaro you definately need stiffer springs to keep the car from bottoming as easily.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts