Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so i've got a 69 camaro project, that we've had around for awhile. It seems the previous owner was running a ford engine of sorts in it...and well...to make room for the pan they practically destroyed the front crossmember. Aside from going out and getting another complete front subframe, does anybody have any tips for fixing this? Is it possible to cut out the factory crossmember and put a square tubing one in? Though i'm a little worried about getting it all to match up exact. (BTW sorry about all the dirt, its been sitting out in the dirt and I just officially started my project today).

Here are some pictures: (hope you didn't just eat, its disturbing!)

My first thought was that i could cut and replace the nasty welds and place a piece of square tubing to fill the gap and tighten it up.

But then i noticed this....

Not to mention it looks like it might be interesting using the factory motor mount locations.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Id get another subframe. They are real cheap and still plentiful.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Probably the most disgusting modification and attempt at welding I've ever seen.

Some parts of it might make good doner parts though. At least hang on to it until you find a replacement frame, incase you get one with a bent rail or something.

Man, that is just bad. It's a pity that this frame didn't fail and kill the modifier in order to aid natural selection.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
That subframe is bad news. I'm with the guys above. Replace it. There are a lot of people replacing their subframes with aftermarket setups so you could probably find one at a reasonable price. I've seen them before on this website in the classified section.

H.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yah i was pretty blown away when i saw it! I know of one sub-frame in town, i'll have to keep my eyes open. I just wasn't sure if it was savable or not. I can at least use some of the parts off it. LOL at the natural selection comment...though if it would have done that i'd need to do a LOT more bodywork to the car! :p

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Did we dig that up off the floor of the ocean? Is that part of the Titanic? LOL! What does the rest of the car look like? Assuming the rest of the car is not to far gone, there are plenty of subframes for sale, I just seen one somewhere for $100 bucks, on the west coast to, I will see if I can find it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did we dig that up off the floor of the ocean? Is that part of the Titanic? LOL! What does the rest of the car look like? Assuming the rest of the car is not to far gone, there are plenty of subframes for sale, I just seen one somewhere for $100 bucks, on the west coast to, I will see if I can find it
Haha, the rest of the car is fairly straight, gotta replace a couple of the floorpans and maybe a quarter panel(due to a dent via moving it around with a forklift), but aside from that its clean. $100 bucks would be an awesome deal, if you can find it let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Putting a Ford engine in a Camaro. I hope that SOB in in a padded cell somewhere.

MR
Might have even been a Presidential candidate at one point!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
That's the one in town that i know of :)
Call him up. I'll bet you can work a deal. Rodger sounds like a straight up guy. Just don't let him work on your car! You'll be addicted!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts