Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does a stock sway bar on a 69 have rubber bushings clamped near each end? This is not the frame bushings or the link bolt bushings. I have read where an 11/16 bar is correct for a Z-28, any other opinions?

·
Registered
294 Posts
my x77 z/28 has two round rubber bushings with a metal clamp around it on the outboard side of the swaybar mounting bushings. I was wondering about them myself, since completing the restoration I havent re-installed them yet.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Mine are on the inboard side (nearest center) of the swaybar mount bushings...

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 11/7/00)

·
Registered
171 Posts
They correctly go on the inboard side of the sway bar and are intended to prevent any side to side movement of the bar. I know it's hard to imagine the bar moving far enough to effect anything but remember these cars were built for trans-am racing and it is probably a carry-over from that.

John

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
When I took my original sway bar off, the bushings were on the outboard side of the swaybar. As fas as I know, no one ever bothered with them.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 9/01/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
This added clamped-on rubber bushing was there to keep the bar from shifting laterally, and is shown in the A.I.M. in UPC5, Sheet A3, which shows it installed inboard of the main bushing on each side. My Z28 is untouched, and they are on the inboard side as shown in the A.I.M. Z28's used the same 11/16" stabilizer bar as all other Camaros (not a 13/16" bar as some have suggested).

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

J

·
0 Posts
Just keep in mind that anything could have happend from the factory. One assembly line worker may have installed them on the outboard side. There are probably several cars out there that have them both ways and have never been toutched. Although that may not be the way G.M intended them to be. All G.M was worried about was getting those cars to the dealers. think about that when you say someones car is incorrect. My 69 Z/28 rear axle housing never recieved an assembly date. I also have a close freind with a BB Z11 pace car that came with 15/7 rallies. According to the books only the two acual pace cars got the 15 inch wheels. Just two examples of where the books were wrong.

Two 69s one documented original 34,000 mile Z/28.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts