Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been sometime since I've posted, hopefully everyone's been well. The issue I've encountered is a swap of front sway bar. I'm going from a 11/16 to a 1 &1/8 and there seems to be a problem with getting it in there. I'm interested if anyone else has done this and give me some insight as how to wiggle this in without ripping apart the front end.
Thx,
Jason

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Well I took my whole front end apart when I replaced it, but you 'might' be able to get it in without, but if you search the archives a few people have mentioned removing the rotor/dust cover and maybe even the spindle from the driver side.
Might try it with just removing the tire, but I am afraid that rotor might be in the way. Then with the swaybar upside down (sides pointing forward), feed it into place, then swivel it into the proper right side up position.
with one person keeping the bar in position lightly tighten the top supports, then connect up the side connections to the control arms.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Huh....I installed a Quickor 1.25" in my old 69 several years ago and didn't have to unbolt a thing except for the old sway bar. I just wiggled and twisted it around until it was in place.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you do a search you will find many posts on this subject. I recently installed a Suspension Techniques sway bar(1-1/8).
Remove the front wheels , raise the front end up, turn the driver's side spindle to the left (left turn) start installing the bar from the driver's side through the frame opening. Begin with the short ends of the bar facing forward. You will then need to "thread" the bar through the frame, twisting and turning it to get it in. The only problem I had was the the threads in the the frame were stripped that mount the bushings.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
ChassisBoy, what did you do about the stripped threads? Bolt on opposite side?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I borrowed a riv nut tool from one of my customers and fixed it for good. Also had to make 3/8" thick spacers for the frame mounts because the bar was at the wrong angle when installed as out of the box.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I couldn't get my Hotchkis bar in withough droping a control arm. I know 454 have bigger balancers, so this may have been the reason.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
He, He!!

Jack up and secure.

Remove tires.

Turn the wheels to lock.

thread bar in.

AND,

Cuss, kick, stomp and pull.

AND IT WILL GO RIGHT IN!!!

Been there, done that!! pdq67

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I installed my Hotchkis 1 1/8 bar with out any problems at all. No chiped paint no cussin no agrivaion.
The trick..................I was rebuilding the front at the time and everything was off the car. The first thing I installed was the bar. Some trick uh..... :D . The moral to the story. For those of us that have to rebuild the front end, think about changing out your sway bar at the same time. It make the job real easy.

Joe

·
15,370 Posts
Good advice.

Also, wrap all the parts like control arms, sway bar, spindles, tierods, centerlink, etc. etc. in a few layers of newspaper or something similar. You won't get all those nicks and scrapes and it removes in 2 seconds when the part is installed. If it does rip or get torn up from handling, the next layer will help protect the finish.

I didn't spend all this time and money to scrape parts!
:cool:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Originally posted by pdq67:
He, He!!

Jack up and secure.

Remove tires.

Turn the wheels to lock.

thread bar in.

AND,

Cuss, kick, stomp and pull.

AND IT WILL GO RIGHT IN!!!

Been there, done that!! pdq67
what size engine??

i have a 427 Big Block

i got my sway bar so jammed i got the tool to cut metal out,and cut the cussed sway bar.

Bah; who needs a sway bar anyways.

big block weight helps to keep the front end down

they really should make a splined one,in 2 pieces,and that would make life easier/

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in agreeance with you caveman, I tried to wedge, cuss, swear, even talked nice to it. Just the reality that something from the front end has to come off. That's a winter project, not to cut in to the summer cruzin... Thanx y'all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm in agreeance with you caveman, I tried to wedge, cuss, swear, even talked nice to it. Just the reality that something from the front end has to come off. That's a winter project, not to cut in to the summer cruzin... Thanx y'all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts