Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to order a new front to back fuel and (1 pc) brake line. I'm told that these come in a box, bent in half in the middle. Has anyone had difficulty in straightening these out ? Do I need a tubing bender ? I'd hate to break them. Thanks, Ron

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
I bought a set of steel lines and they did come bent in half. The bend is a pretty big gradual bend. They are not hard to straighten out. I did mine slowly with my own hands. My lines were not stainless steel.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Jonesy. I forgot to add that I'm going to get the steel lines too. Mine are not broken, just rusted. I've got the car all apart, and now's the time to replace them, ecpecially before the subframe connectors go on. Thanks, Ron.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Same here. I am rolling the subframe on on Mon-Tues and I'll see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
I just put my brake and fuel lines in yesterday and the fit was perfect. I will have to admit it would have been pretty tough to install the fuel lines if the subframe was attached. I ordered them through Ricks. I think they are made by Inline Tube.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
It's been several years, so I don't remember the details, but I had a problem fishing my brake line into position. My car was backed into the garage, so I had to fish it from the front. I think I had to jack the front way up to get the "riser" portion into the engine bay.
Ironically, I am going to retrofit the proportioning valve under the door. I'm hoping I can cut the line, and flare it without removing it.

It probably is much easier to install the two piece line.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
My car has the valve/block mounted to the subframe so I installed the forward lines on the subframe and then the rear lines on the body and rolled them together and the went together. Now the fuel lines would be a pain if I didnt have the subframe off. I was able to route the lines around the subframe and roll the subframe into place. I finally have everthing hooked up and complete. I will have pics up soon on my page.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
If you are going to put in fuel lines that are bent to original specs (which is the easiest), it is easier to put the one piece line without the subframe connected. My lines for my SS were one continuous line from front to back. They go from the rear to along the rocker, then up and over the top of the subframe, then go along the inside of the subframe. I wouldnt say you cant do it with it on, but it was a breeze with it off. I would think you would have to jack the car up in the air or have it on a rotisserie. OR bend the lines every which way. I know some guys have put in 2 piece lines also.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I would imagine that you could loosen the bolts and remove the rubber from one side and get adequate clearance for the lines. Especially so if the engine and tranny are out of the car.

-dnult

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I installed mine with the subframe on, and the engine in place. I had to jack the car up, but I probably did both sided (fuel and brake) in a couple of hours. Compare that to the time to unhook everything to remove the subframe, then re-align the subframe, and hook everything back up.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I removed both the fuel and one piece brake line with the front sheetmetal off, and the subframe attached. I had to jack the front of the car up, and also remove the driver's side front tire to maneuver the brake line out.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The lines that you get from Ricks are from "The Right Stuff", I believe. The owner is in my club.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
I got mine from Rick's, so that must be who made them. They were near perfect fit. I was amazed.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I got mine from Dave ( Right Stuff) at Super Chevy Show in Indy. Fit was perfect and they werent bent in the middle. Thats whats good about picking them up at a show. Also purchased a reman. and replated brake booster from him while I was there. Daves a real good guy to deal with.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I got mine from Dave ( Right Stuff) at Super Chevy Show in Indy. Fit was perfect and they werent bent in the middle. Thats whats good about picking them up at a show. Also purchased a reman. and replated brake booster from him while I was there. Daves a real good guy to deal with.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yep... Dave is a class act. The hobby could use more people like him... especially on the re-pop market.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I put one piece fuel and brake lines in with subframe on but there was no sheet metal on the front. If you just block the subframe, remove the bolts and jack the front of the body up about 4 inches they'll go in very easy. It's about a two hour job but no big deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.