Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a meticulous freak, and I want to tastefully fill the front valence holes on my '68 Camaro. They appear to large and unfinished. I've been looking for an aftermarket grille to fit them. Does anyone make those?

If not, I'm thinking of doing one of two things...

1) Locating another black grille, or similar, cutting it to fit each of the openings, and mounting them to finish the appearance.

2) Getting a roll of black mesh screen, fabricating a frame, sizing properly, and mounting in each opening. I've done this on a turbo Hayabusa before when I removed the oil cooler and it looked great.

Any comments on these two options? Any better ideas? I know there must be others who have done this?

Thanks.
Jim

·
Registered
426 Posts
Are you talkin about trying to make something thatll match the grille? Or maybe weld in metal to make it solid? :confused:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something to match the grille. Not looking to do any welding.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I did mine with kitchen light defuser, attached with those stick on squares that have a loop that you can put a wire tie through. I heated the sections with a heat gun and put a slight bend to it.

Here I over exposed it so you can see more clearly...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
67, that's a very good look. I have the grille with horizontal bars only. I may have to buy another grille, and cut the bars to fit into a custom fabbed frame, then bolt them in.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I'd consider using double sided tape or some other non-intrusive method for attaching the frame. If you ever sell your car, and the buyer doesn't like the changes, however tastefully done, it will hurt the sell price.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd consider using double sided tape or some other non-intrusive method for attaching the frame. If you ever sell your car, and the buyer doesn't like the changes, however tastefully done, it will hurt the sell price.
My valence openings have tabs with bolt holes on the inside lip. I would just use those to mount the fabbed frame.

Jim

·
Registered
275 Posts
My valence openings have tabs with bolt holes on the inside lip. I would just use those to mount the fabbed frame.

Jim
That wont work. You have to use the sticky square tabs that you can wire tie too otherwise it will not sit flush and be sure you heat and bend it otherwise it will look terrible.... You also have to cut out the squares so the tabs stick through or it wont be flush.

Lee

PS thanks everyone for the compliments. I did this trick back in 1988 and every camaro I've ever rebuilt since I continue to do it. Back in the 80's I also put in yellow fog lights behind the grill and I thought that was pretty cool too!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
That looks very nice! Great idea!
and good question too!

I saw a '68 coupe at a show, and he had a fiber screen, (almost like you see on vented bras).
He wasn't around, so I don't know the brand..
Has anyone ever heard or seen pictures of a black weave or maybe nylon screen in the valance?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I can't find material that will replicate the grille, I will probably go the route of black mesh. Fairly easy to fab 2 frames, tack 2 tabs, attach the mesh and bolt on. Without a front bumper, this looks odd to me...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been doing some research in the forum on this topic and haven't found any new ideas on this topic. So, I thought this would bump this back up.

Has anyone seen any new products to solve this? I have a resto-mod 68 that I'd like to fill the holes in with a screen or grill, maybe with some driving lights also.
Thanks all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts