Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a standard 69 Camaro with a 350, nice car when I bought it but there were changes to be made. The first was to change the front brakes to disc. After I found out the 14" wheels wouldn't fit so I ordered some 15" x 8" with P245 tires and after the first trip down the driveway I knew it was all wrong. The tires now rubbed on the fender so as a temp. solution I put spring spacers in but on sufficient enough bumps they still rub and I cringe every time it does. I know there are plenty of 69's with 15" wheels and I couldn't be the only one with this problem. Or am I? So is there anyone that had the same problem, and if so is there anything to do to keep them from rubbing ever again. PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds simple enough, but have you considered changing your front springs? Put in a set meant for a big block car, and your sure to raise your car considerably!! If that's what you want, that is.....

·
Registered
257 Posts
I got a 67 that's lowered 2 inches and now it rubs, anyone know what will fit, I was thinking of going to 14x7 ralleys cuz right now I'm running 235/60R15 and it rubs pretty good over bumps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just added discs and dropped mine 2" and after trying alot of different sizes, the biggest I could get in the front was 15x7s with 215s and they don't rub. 225s rubbed both the fender and the tie rod during hard turns and bumps. 235s just rubbed all the time.

[This message has been edited by englemac (edited 11-30-2000).]

·
Retired
26,594 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jbaker:
Sounds simple enough, but have you considered changing your front springs? Put in a set meant for a big block car, and your sure to raise your car considerably!! If that's what you want, that is.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem with wider than 235 15 60's isn't completely eliminated by raising the car unless you go with a shallower back spacing that puts the tire outside the fender.

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have 245/50/16 and they do not rub. However, my car sits at stock ride height.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 11/29/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
10,142 Posts
The disc brake hub flange sits 9/16" farther out than a drum brake flange.
Maybe you can change wheels?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
523 Posts
DJD is right on about 235-60/15 being the MAX size BUT I have 225-60/15's now because the 235's did still rub slighlty on a sharp turn where the 225's don't. I have a brand new BB spring setup so I can't imagine any other STOCK height combo giving any more clearance than this. I have also had 225-50/15's and they work fine as well although I thought the sidewall height was too short to look like a stock setup.

Rear setup can handle 275-60/15's as long as leafs are not saggy. 275-50/15's work even better because they are only slightly taller than the 225-60/15's on the front.

·
Registered
101 Posts
englemac, I was wondering what kind of drop spindles you installed and what diameter rotor?

------------------
68/Z28,35O LT1
RICHMOND 5 SP,

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
My (stock) '69 Z28 has original factory 15"x7" rallys and 235/60-15 BFG TA's, and has no rubbing problems - possibly there is a difference in backspacing and/or the extra 1" width in your wheels is causing it.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 11 of 11 Posts