Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While filling up my 68 today, I noticed a pretty large amount of fuel leaking out on to the ground. It appears to be leaking from the filler neck. It is not a leak from the tank, because once I quit filling the tank, the leak stopped. I removed my license plate and found the rubber hose to be in pretty bad shape. Also, my fuel cap does not fit real tight anymore so I would like to replace the filler neck too. Can I change these without dropping the tank? Anything I need to be aware of while doing this?

------------------
Dave Richard
68RS/SS Convertible
L48 (350/295 Powerglide)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes.

You should be able to change both without dropping the tank. The filler neck slides out through the opening in the back. You should be able to purchase both from any aftermarket supplier like Firewheel Classics here in our area.

All you need to do to remove them is losen the hose clamps on the hose and remove the screws from the filler.

Let me know if you have more quesitons. I had to replace mine a short while back.

Kel

------------------
North Texas Camaro Club

Is the glass half empty or half full???.....Neither, the glass is twice as large as it needs to be!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't be smoking or have any other ignition source around. Have the exhaust pipes be cool too. Try to have the tank empty. Remember, it is the gas vapors above the liquid gasoline that what ignites and flashes over.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This may not apply to your situation but....
I had a '73 with the neck joint leaking where
it mates with the tank. I used some JB weld around the area and it sealed it up good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts