Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it matter which side of the fuel pump I put the filter?, I would like to put it on the Inlet to the pump because it would be out of the heat from the motor. When I had the aluminum edelbrock filter beside the carb it gets really hot and concerns me. Will it be OK in either spot?

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
After the pump.The pump doesn't have alot of suction and if the filter starts getting clog your pressure will drop off alot faster with the filter on the suction side.Low pressure = lean bad on a high performance engine.

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
Be carefull with filters some are designed as 'sucj thru' , others 'pump thru' and make sure they are the right way around.
I mounted mine in the rubber section up behind the rear wheel....used an elcheapo after reassembling the car....after a couple 1000 miles I replaced it simply out of 'good practice'.

The pump doesn't have alot of suction and if the filter starts getting clog your pressure will drop off alot faster .....
Filters should be replaced as routine maintaince, not wait till the bloody thing effects performance, espec on a high end performance car.....Too many people over look take for granted the simple stuff, like air filters, pvc valves, radiators and fuel filters.

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
40 yrs ago all you could get was pressure filters.....
I have swapped all my cars, including the vinage cars over to suck, got p155ed picking up crap in tanks and messing with the non return valves in the pumps.

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
Diapham brks up, bowls my out engine stops...bit if there is no sintered filter have to get past the float valve, out of the bowl, thru gallerries and thru jets etc.
Arguement doesnt hold water.

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
Diapham brks up, bowls mt out engine stops...but if there is no sintered filter it has to get past the float valve, out of the bowl, thru gallerries and thru jets etc.
Arguement doesnt hold water.

Sry didnt have my glasses on.

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
I agree with the above...problems arise after a rebuild and the tank lines etc have been laying around dry for a while...Then filters come into action.
Generally most of the crap comes from the tank..hence why I put a suction in the rubber section behind the wheel...and yep I did get a little crap in the float valves a cuople times in the 1st few 100 miles.
I expected a liitle crap in the float valves, a 10 min stop on the road trip to fix, no big deal.
I reeplaced the filter because I brought 2 at the time with that intention, and was easier to replaced in the rubber section than replace the rubber section.
Then went to LPG, and dont have a fuel pump or even a petrol tank anymore.

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
Nice Steptoe. I think I can really manage it because of your idea. Thanks.
You meant this part lol
"Then went to LPG, and dont have a fuel pump or even a petrol tank anymore."
After 25 yrs wouldnt give up my 105 octane fuel for that watery stuff they call petrol.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You want the filter after the pump. A filter before the pump will reduce the pressure in the suction line and a dirty filter significantly more so. Lower pressure with high temperatures makes it easier to reach the vapor pressure of the fuel and create a vapor lock condition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.