Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if i could put a fuel filter in the rubber line that goes between the hard line and the fuel Pump. Basicallly the fuel filter will be before the pump, not after it.

I'll post a picture of the area I had in mind if needed.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
nothing wrong with having a fuel filter before the fuel pump...nothing wrong with having a fuel filter after the fuel pump...does your car have a eletric fuel pump or manual?

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
john, are you worried about getting trash in your fuel pump? what is the condition of your fuel tank and your fuel lines? what kind of fuel pump are you running ? stock or like a holley or edelbrock or something?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I've never heard a recommendation of installing a fuel filter on the suction side of a mechanical fuel pump. Why not set it up the way the Chevy engineers did; filter between the pump and carb?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
I believe those little Fram jobs that you can buy off the shelf are actually supposed to go before the pump like what you are asking about. I've been running my car on old gas to get it going again and put one in right at the end of the hardline to keep from possibly gunking up the brass one on my carb feeder line. It has been working just fine.

The old tank finally came out this weekend though! On my head no less....

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have stock pump. Reason why i dont have it set up like the chevy engineers did is because that 2 barrel rochester that should be on there wont cut it. I have an Eddie 1406. Right now my fuel lines look like something i would do when i was 16. I'm using earls fittings braided hose, with fuel regulator and gauge. Eddie told me to put a fuel regulator in because stock pumps put out to much PSI for an Eddie. I did that because after driving I get fuel pooling in the carb (I have adjusted the floats until i was blue in the face) Anyway, my plumbing looks like crap. I bought a pre bent 3/8 tube from right stuff, goes from the pump to the eddie. But needs a small 90 degree bend of rubber fuel hose to hook up to the Carb. Thus the question of putting a fuel filter on the suction side. And the filter i have is a small fram stainless steel jobby. Tank is clean, i dropped it a few years back to save the Broadcast sheet.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Yup. I've got a Fram before the pump and the built-in brass one that came with my carb line after the pump.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
your good to go dont worry about a thing!!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
So you're running the filter on the suction side of the mechanical pump AND you have rubber hose between pump and carb (the pressure side)?

Perhaps there's a better idea out there.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
nothing wrong with having a fuel filter before the fuel pump...nothing wrong with having a fuel filter after the fuel pump...does your car have a electric fuel pump or manual?
X2.......and no problems feeding my thirsty 648 HP BBC :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:.

David F.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you're running the filter on the suction side of the mechanical pump AND you have rubber hose between pump and carb (the pressure side)?

Perhaps there's a better idea out there.
No. I will run a hard 3/8 line from pump to Carb. But before the carb, I need to connect that hard line to the carb with a 3/8 rubber hose. Prolly about an inch and a half.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts