Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my fuel sending unit in the gas tank with a new one from Classic Camaro's. It appears to be the correct sending unit.

The gauge is working now but it bounces around. As the fuel sloshes in the tank the gauge reacts. I would assume that there should be some sort of dampening affect on the gauge.

Any thoughts on the problem?

Thanks,
Tom

------------------
'79 Z28, 4spd, 3.73 10 bolt, 350 4-bolt .030 over with stud kit, 10:1 Compression, Keith Black Flat Tops, Comp Cams Magnum 294 Solid Cam .525 lift, 63cc Heads, Stainless valves, hardened exhaust seats, guideplates, Summit Needle Bearing Roller Rockers 1.5 ratio, Offy Single Plane Intake, Holley 650 Vac. Secondaries, Stock HEI (for now), Headers 1 7/8" primaries, 3" Collectors into 2 1/2" exhaust with "H" pipe and Turbo Mufflers.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
There is a damping feature, but it's built into the pivot movement in the gauge itself; the float arm on the sender isn't damped.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Damn I'm glad we got John. Who would've known that?
Yea right, put yur arms down, you didn't know either. LOL

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Yeah, no kidding.

Hey John, can we get some info on your background? If I remember right, I believe you worked for GM for some years? What did you do at the time? I'm impressed with your knowledge, it always helps us out.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my NEW webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

·
Registered
622 Posts
any thoughts on installing a capacitor inline... A friend of mine suggested that to me once with an autometer fuel gauge that swung all over the place.

John

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Just your average car nut since I was about 12; started building race cars when I was 16, grew up on Woodward Avenue in the late 50's/early 60's, M.E. degree, 21 years with Chevrolet Engineering & Assembly, 16 years with Chrysler - Chief Engineer, Director of Manufacturing Engineering, retired last year after six years as Viper Plant Manager. When you build them every day and restore them every night and weekend for 40 years, you learn a lot; still learn something every day
Life's lessons? Go to school, get your degree, work hard, play hard, get your hands dirty, have fun, and share knowledge/experience with others so they can too

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 6 of 6 Posts