Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i modified my 69 camaro dash and now have 5" autometers i out in a tach and speedo and moved my fuel to a cutom pod with 4 2 1/16 guages i just took the brown wire that was wired to the stock gauges and wired it to my new autometer's signal outlet. but it isnt working that gauges lights and ground and 12v is wired right just not the signal.....am i mising something.

·
Registered
480 Posts
encountered what might be a similar problem last weekend, helping a buddy on his '68. we finally realized senders and gauges need to be Ohm-range compatible.
most GM stock senders (1965- late 80s) are 90 ohm full, 0 ohm empty. some older ones (pre-1965) were 30 full / 0 empty. check your gauge ohm range, then you're gonna need to know the sender range. we had to get his by dropping the tank, removing the sender, and ohming it with a meter.
my guess is your new gauge isn't ohm-compatible with the sender.
if the stock gauge worked, you most probably have a 90/0 sender.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Do you have a link to the owner's manual for the new gauge?

-

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i do not remember the part number but i am 100% that i orpered the right gauge..autometer ultra lite i posted on here and ask a number of friends and it wasll all the same one dang it i cant remember the ohm or the partnumber... as it not working i mean i have the lights wired correctly to it..and it is grounded well and has 12v keyed ignition going to it.. it is just not getting a signal and all i did was just use the same brown wire that was on my stock gauge and i know im not out of gas.. but the car is torn apart and isnt crankable at this second will be this weekend again i hope

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Well Brian... since you refuse to tell us what the gauge isn't doing...

If the gauge swirngs to way past full, then your sender wire is open, IE: not connected.

If it's stuck on empty, then it is shorted to ground somewhere. To rule out anything in the tank, go back in the trunk and unplug the tan wire. Gauge should go to way past full.

In the electrical basics sticky, there are a couple of articles on troubleshooting the fuel gauge. Maybe read em?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts