Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel gauge is not working right what can be wrong and how can I fix it.
Im restoring it and when I put the dash in I found out it does not show right if goes past Full I dont think it is the gauge because I did try a nother one and it did the same too, could it have something to do with the tank since it is new?
This is my fyrst time here I just found this forum and I like it.

Thanks
JonniD

------------------

·
Registered
152 Posts
check the ground on your housing. this is most likely the problem. also, check the plug on the top of the sending unit. make sure that there is no corrosion. do a search in the troubleshooting area, there are good ideas in there as well.

chuck

------------------
67 rs/ss 360 blue w/black vinyl top
m20 muncie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank I will do that I think it is the ground now when you say that because I dont think I had the dash grounded good.

JonniD

------------------

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
the tank sending unit ground should be located right in front of the tank. It connects to the underside of the trunk pan. If this ground isn't good, the gauge will just jump past full and stay there.

If the tank actually is full and the gauge is reading past full, do not be alarmed. Most fuel gauges I have seen on first gens read about an inch past the full mark when they are really full. The empty mark is right on though.... at least in mine....

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the same problem. Check the grounds back at the tank, not in the dash. Also, if you have the sending unit out there are various resistence number that you should see at full, empty and in between. Tha's what makes the gage move. Mine would read way past full and then move wildly when it got under a half a tank. Replaced the sending unit and now its fine. Empty always comes fast, but at least I now know where empty is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was my first post and I'm glad that I did it looks like there are a lot of nice people here to help you with things that are not working right I just hope I can help somebody one day to pay everybody back.
Thanks guys I will look in to this and keep you posted how things are going.

JonniD

------------------

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeah I had the same problem, only mine would go from "E" to half full then to 1/4 then jump to full...caused a lot of breakdowns in the dead of night...lot of long walks home. Then one day I noticed a wire hanging down from under the car. Hmmmm...you guessed it. The ground wire from my sending unit. No problems since.

Garrett M.
68 Convertible

1 - 8 of 8 Posts