Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel gauge on my 68 Camaro isn't working. When the power is off to the ignition, the gauge reads full. When I turn the key "on", the needle pegs way past full. I checked the wire to the sender and it shows about 8 volts. Is the problem in the gauge, sender or a short somewhere in between?

------------------
www.community.webshots.com/user/ironwood10

·
Super Moderator
32,896 Posts
With all power off, maybe even the inst cluster disconnected, the needle should indicate 3 "dots" to the left of "E."

I would think it would be the gauge wrong.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just a couple of ideas.
Disconnect the connector from the gage. Measure the tan sender wire to ground. The reading should be between 0 ohms (Empty) and 90 ohms (Full).
If that is OK, measure the meter connector ground wire. Be sure you have a good ground. "Super Full" readings can be caused by an open ground to the meter.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The first thing I would check is the ground for the sending unit. The ground wire is attached near the passenger side tank strap mount (close to the differential). Remove the screw and clean up all the contacts (trunk floor, screw and wire connector). Make sure the screw is tight when re-assembling. Test- if there is no change then the sending unit rheoshat may be bad. Check it with an ohm meter as above.

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts