Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John:
I wanted to test my fuel gauges using a potentiometer method as you described in a prior Team Camaro post. I went to the Radio Shack web site and they have ten different potentiometers. Can you tell me exactly which one I will need to do this test. My fuel gauge is the last piece of the puzzle I am trying to solve and it's driving me crazy!! The Radio Shack site is below,,,

Radio Shack - Potentiometer

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the fuel gauge sender is only about 160 ohms or so from full to empty. A 1K pot should work just fine. Radio Shack's 271-280 1K, 1 turn trimmer pot should do the trick. If you want a lot of resolution, use the 271-342 1K, 15 turn trimmer pot.

Paul D.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
A 100 ohm linear taper pot would work fine. 1K ohm would work as well, but you'd only be using 10% or less of its range.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Exactly - you want a 0-100 ohm linear taper pot; it doesn't show on their website, but it's in the big catalog in the store. Mine is ink-stamped "B100" (followed by the ohm symbol) on the back, cost five bucks, they had to order it. Here's a pic of mine - you tie either end tap to the center tap and add two wires, and you're in business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts