Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the electrical guru's.
I just put a new gas tank in my 67, I had to re-use the sending unit that i had in the old tank because I just cant spend the money for a new one now.
The sending unit worked, but since i had the car the gauge always read a little past full. So for reference when I would top off it would go about 1/4 past the full line. I would fill my tank up when it got down to 1/4 tank and it would take about 14 gallons at a fill up. I replaced the tank because the one that was on it had a few big dents in the bottom.. not sure how they got there.:(
So now I have a nice new tank and i put 10 gallons of gas in it and on the gauge it reads 3/4 and the sending unit reads 68 to 70 Ohms. So im thinking im about a 1/4 off on the gauge. I would think it should be reading about 1/2.
I have done some searching and found some post of people putting a in line resistor in to adjust it.
Would this work for my situation? and if it would what resistor would i need to put in?
Sorry for the long post, hope it came from my head to the key board the right way so you guys can help. :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Mine did the same thing untill last weekend I replaced the sending unil I think it was about 45 bucks. The original sock was so briitle it was starting to fall apart. As well the gasket was dry. Now empty is empty about a gallon , 12 gallons gives me 3/4 and full is right at full. Just pretend 1/4 is empty untill you change it. At least you know where you stand.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My filter in the tank was like that too. Just fell right apart. I replaced that and the O-ring and Locking ring. I guess ill just leave this one in until I can get a new one and feel like dropping the tank again. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts