Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 68 cutlass conv.
I was told that the gauge worked, but was off. when I first drove the cat, it showed about 1/2 tank. I put 5 gallons in it and it when to full. after driving it around the gauge dropped to 7/8 and never went lower. I finally stopped to fill it up and now the gauge reads way past full (into to hot idiot light in the same pod) and does not seem to move. any ideas where to start to trouble shoot this?
I looked here under the general info pages, http://my.core.com/~faldrich/fuelgage.htm
but was wonder if someone could tell be the symptoms if it sounds like the gauge, send unit, wiring or ground?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
sounds like a guage, but... the wiring is easy enuf to check... you'll need a buddy in the driver seat, you get under the back of the car with a short peice of bare wire. in between the tank and the axle, you should see a wire with a connector going over the top of the gas tank... disconnect it... with the key on, the guage should go way full. stick the bare wire in the harness connector ( not the wire from the tank) and ground it to the chassis, the guage should show empty, test ok, sending unit in tank is bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts