Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a problem with my fuel guage. Had some problems earlier with my underdash wiring; it was the 33 year old light bulbs and sockets. I'm still having problems with my gas guage; it always stays to the far right, reguardless how much fuel is in the car. I've checked the circuit board of the dash and it checks out as far continuity throughout. Any time I start up, it jumps to the far right.

Need help, what do you think?

Sinkit 67 "The Real Deal"

67 Camaro, 350 Eng, 350 Trans, 10 Bolt Rear

------------------
Sinkit67 "Lets get started".

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
That is the default position....full resistance (open circuit) will show Full on the guage. Have you checked the resistance on the sending unit? Should be minimal ohms when empty and 90 ohms when full...

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver

·
Registered
321 Posts
I agree as stated before me. I have found a broken or disconnected wire from the harness back to the sender. It should be a tan colored wire if I remember right.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Right, guage on the far right is an open connection between the guage and the sender. Brown wire, the sending unit connects to the main body harness in the trunk, right by the filler tube. Disconnect it, and jumper the wiring harness connector to ground. If the guage falls to empty, the sending unit is bad, or disconnected on top of the tank. I just went through this, it was a bad sending unit, dropped the tank and replaced it, all OK now. If the guage doesn't fall to empty when you jumper it, the brown wire in the harness is open between the back of the car and the gas guage, most probably where the dash harness plugs into the instrument cluster pcb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JimM, good isolation tips, I'll check the wires "ASAP" and let you'll know.

sinkit 67 "The Real Deal" <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimM:
Right, guage on the far right is an open connection between the guage and the sender. Brown wire, the sending unit connects to the main body harness in the trunk, right by the filler tube. Disconnect it, and jumper the wiring harness connector to ground. If the guage falls to empty, the sending unit is bad, or disconnected on top of the tank. I just went through this, it was a bad sending unit, dropped the tank and replaced it, all OK now. If the guage doesn't fall to empty when you jumper it, the brown wire in the harness is open between the back of the car and the gas guage, most probably where the dash harness plugs into the instrument cluster pcb.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Sinkit67 "Lets get started".

·
Registered
575 Posts
One other thing to try is to ground the fuel tank, the tank has to be grounded to the body. Scratch a clean spot on the tank and some where on the chassis and use a jump wire between the two spots, look at your gauge, if it works now then you need to ground the tank. Drop down one strap, clean the tank under the strap and clean the strap, bolt it back up and every thing should work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same prob. in my 67 the sending unit was good it was my ground on it that was bad check that before replacing the unit. Wish I would have, now I'm out $60.00

------------------
Severe 67

·
Registered
297 Posts
Could be the ground on the guage cluster. I had the same problem with my 67 during restoration. Here the guage cluster is grounded to the dash by a stupid rigid wire that connects to the center top screw above the bright light indicator. Check that ground first, it's probably easiest, and I bet you that's your problem. If the ground is iffy at all, the guage will peg itself.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I just fixed the same prob in my '68. There was (is) a ground wire running from a spade lug on the sending unit to the pass side front of the gas tank support in the body (where the front of the tank strap hooks in) My sending unit was bad. Again, the test is to disconnect the light brown wire from the harness in the trunk, and ground the wire in the harness. If the guage and wiring from there forward is good, the guage will drop to empty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts