Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm trying to get my new tank/in tank pump installed to run a sniper efi. I'm getting a pretty big leak. Is there a trick to getting these an adapters to work?

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
That a hard line, so did you try and redo the flare ?
Not much of a trick, 37* AN fittings shouldn't need pipe dope.

I try a different brand of fitting if it didn't seal.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The adapter doesn’t look right to me. That gap looks suspicious. Is that a ferrule type fitting? if so then the line may be too hard to allow the ferrule to seal.
it might be more beneficial to allow the hard line interface to be seen for diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
that is a compression fitting on the tube side, was there a 3/8 ferrule included to go over the 3/8 line?

if so you may need to tighten it more

·
Registered
858 Posts
How about a picture of it apart.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Are you making sure the line is going through the ferrule and into the fitting? If it was tight you would not have been able to remove the ferrule from the line or it would be difficult.

Reactions: wireboy355

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like I just need to tighten a little bit. Still got a leak on return . Just got it started

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hard to tell from that angle. The line should extend all the way through the ferrule.

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is a compression type AN tube adapter - it can be used on steel, stainless steel, or aluminium lines without issues - no flaring required. I personally used a handful of these (different brand though) on a current project of mine with stainless steel fuel lines and none have leaks.

In order to use:
  • Ensure line is straight and deburred with a very slight chamfer
  • Place nut over tube followed by ferrule
  • Lubricate the first 20mm of the line with clean engine oil. Push OD of line into body (ID) of fitting. Shouldn't require too much force here. Ensure the end of the line is seated properly. Quality brands will also use an o-ring here for sealing
  • Lubricate threads on fitting with clean engine oil. Don't use thread tape, pipe sealant, or anything else on this - it's not needed and can cause issues down the track
  • Bring nut up to fitting (with ferrule sitting on it), start tightening finger tight. Place in clamp and tighten completely. By the end of this procedure (and where I think your issue was) you should only have a roughly 1mm gap between nut and the hex on the fitting. You look to have a good 6-8mm of gap which would mean the ferrule is not sealing properly on the tube, hence the leak
It's also worth mentioning as noted above, the line needs to extend all the way through the ferrule (as it needs to seat in the fitting) and the line itself needs to be straight and without any kind of nicks, burrs, etc, for the portion where the fitting goes at least.

And finally, the other fitting to the top left of the picture looks to have the same issue. You'll need to sort this too.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I’m doing something wrong getting the ferrule to slide down. I put the clean oil on it. I should be able just slide it down right?

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
You may have slightly distorted it with your previous assembly attempts. You can buy replacement ferrules at the hardware store.

Don

·
Registered
191 Posts
As Don pointed out, that looks distorted. Ferrules should never be reused in any circumstance. Get a new one and try again.

·
15,227 Posts
I would highly recommend you get or borrow a good set of lone wrenches.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts