Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After much back and forth I decided to stay with my current 350 SBC and eventually upgrade to a Blueprint 383 vs the LS swap I had considered. With that, I have purchased a FiTech Easy Street 600 (arriving tonight) and a Tanks, inc tank, 255lhp in-tank pump, new sending unit and the corvette regulator/filter. Additionally, I will be installing new 3/8" SS hardline tonight. Having said all of that.

What did people use for their flexible lines? I've read people have had problems with Chinese line and am trying to only do this once, specifically issues with gas fumes/smells seeping through. Is a PTFE line recommended? Additionally, if anyone has a list of the connectors needed I would really appreciate it (I'd like to get everything purchased before I start). Lastly, where did you run your vent or did you just use the SS cap?

You guys/gals are awesome, my car would still be a rusted lawn ornament without this site.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'm guessing you didn't use PTFE line then?
NO . I contacted specrte and asked them about my application and was told it would be ok for unleaded fuel. that is all I needed to know. been on the car for 6 years with no problems

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
I used Holley/Earls Vaporguard hose and fittings. I prefer the OEM look over braided hose. No smell and doesn’t break down like braided rubber hose.

Don

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I've got the line on order. Hopefully it will be installed this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
I ran hard line for most of the run. I connected a short piece (2 feet) of PTFE braided hose from the gas tank fuel pump to the hard line. Another piece (1 foot) of flexible hose was used to connect the engine fuel rail to the hard line. My hard line was custom bent.

The hose below has the AN fittings already installed. It is rated for 2500 psi. There are different lengths, diameters and colors.

https://www.jegs.com/p/Russell/Russell-Stainless-Steel-Braided-Nitrous-and-Fuel-Lines/761378/10002/-1

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran hard line for most of the run. I connected a short piece (2 feet) of PTFE braided hose from the gas tank fuel pump to the hard line. Another piece (1 foot) of flexible hose was used to connect the engine fuel rail to the hard line. My hard line was custom bent.

The hose below has the AN fittings already installed. It is rated for 2500 psi. There are different lengths, diameters and colors.

https://www.jegs.com/p/Russell/Russ...raided-Nitrous-and-Fuel-Lines/761378/10002/-1
I wish I would've seen that earlier.

What did you do for the vent?

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
I wish I would've seen that earlier.

What did you do for the vent?
Well... nothing yet. My car is still under construction.:frown2:

My fuel tank has a dedicated vent tube in the top of the fuel tank. I think the top of your pump has a fitting for a vent tube. The vent has to be higher than the top of the neck of the gas tank. Some people run a vent tube to the top of the license plate area. Others run it to the top of the wheel house.

I am still on the fence of what to put at the end of the vent tube hose.
1. Some people install a filter. Some of the filters can be coarse metal mesh or a small K and N style filter. They might allow fuel vapors to stink up the garage.
2. I have read a rollover check valve should be installed. The check valve has to be perfectly vertical for it to work properly.
3. Some people rob from a junk car the charcoal canister and tubing. The charcoal will absorb the fuel vapor.
4. Buy a vented gas cap. It might be difficult to fill the gas tank because the nozzle's automatic shutoff could activate many times as you try to fill the tank.

I am not sure which is the best method. I am leaning toward a check valve and fabricating a bracket.

Have you added up the cost for a fuel line and all the fittings? It is surprisingly expensive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well... nothing yet. My car is still under construction.:frown2:

My fuel tank has a dedicated vent tube in the top of the fuel tank. I think the top of your pump has a fitting for a vent tube. The vent has to be higher than the top of the neck of the gas tank. Some people run a vent tube to the top of the license plate area. Others run it to the top of the wheel house.

I am still on the fence of what to put at the end of the vent tube hose.
1. Some people install a filter. Some of the filters can be coarse metal mesh or a small K and N style filter. They might allow fuel vapors to stink up the garage.
2. I have read a rollover check valve should be installed. The check valve has to be perfectly vertical for it to work properly.
3. Some people rob from a junk car the charcoal canister and tubing. The charcoal will absorb the fuel vapor.
4. Buy a vented gas cap. It might be difficult to fill the gas tank because the nozzle's automatic shutoff could activate many times as you try to fill the tank.

I am not sure which is the best method. I am leaning toward a check valve and fabricating a bracket.

Have you added up the cost for a fuel line and all the fittings? It is surprisingly expensive.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting to spend $170 just on stainless braided line and connectors, but might as well do it right the first time. I have the vent on top of my pump as well I have just been reading most people just use a vented cap. However, the gas station pump shutting off every 15 seconds gets kinda old. I think I'll look into a bracket of some sort. Is it alright if it vents under the car vs outside of the body?

·
14,272 Posts
With the Tanks inc set up use a non vented cap and run the vent line from the port on the pump to the supplies roll-over vent mount led above the fuel tank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With the Tanks inc set up use a non vented cap and run the vent line from the port on the pump to the supplies roll-over vent mount led above the fuel tank.

That seems pretty straight forward. I get the pump in tonight so I'll take a look and make sure I understand correctly. Does the Tanks, inc pump mount have a built in roll-over vent? I know they sell a remote roll over vent. I'm assuming you haven't had any fuel smells from this set up. Thanks for responding I figured you'd have the answer.

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
That seems pretty straight forward. I get the pump in tonight so I'll take a look and make sure I understand correctly. Does the Tanks, inc pump mount have a built in roll-over vent? I know they sell a remote roll over vent. I'm assuming you haven't had any fuel smells from this set up. Thanks for responding I figured you'd have the answer.
My tanks inc pump/tank came with a little check ball vent.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my tank in last night and it did come with the roll over valve. I'll work on fab'ing up a bracket for it and finding a good place for it (unless anyone has pics of their install). Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to say a quick thank you for everyone's help. I got everything installed this weekend and running reasonable well. Just need to do some fine tuning on the fitech and put some miles on it.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Got my tank in last night and it did come with the roll over valve. I'll work on fab'ing up a bracket for it and finding a good place for it (unless anyone has pics of their install). Thanks for everyone's help.
While I don't have pics, I grabbed an " L" bracket during an outing to Ace, stepped out the lower hole allowing the rollover valve to assemble with the bracket as a washer, and self tapped the thing as high as possible on my pass side rail by the tank.
-Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While I don't have pics, I grabbed an " L" bracket during an outing to Ace, stepped out the lower hole allowing the rollover valve to assemble with the bracket as a washer, and self tapped the thing as high as possible on my pass side rail by the tank.
-Rob
I had some sheet metal scraps lying around and fab'd up an L bracket to mount the rollover valve on the passenger side to the outside of differential hump by riveting it in. I wanted to mount it to the side rail but was concerned to put it directly over my exhaust. Seems to be working well so far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts