Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of putting my '68 back together, I am now at the fuel tank. Are there any tricks or hints for putting the fuel neck along with the sleeve in? It did not seem like a difficult job, but Im having difficulties getting it back in. Any HELP
would be gladly accepted.
KD

·
Registered
579 Posts
you mean the rubber hose to the tank from the neck?thats a pain.I went to the junkyard and hacked a length of hose off of an explorer because the hose i bought seemed to short.the longer piece helped.take off the license plate and try lubing the hose.

------------------
68 camaro,hugger orange ,white stripes.327 4 speed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The trick is to get the gas cap to line up straight. My SS leans a little and I have yet to figure out how to straighten it.

------------------
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of KC

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay do you put the neck into the hose wwhile th tank is lowered, or do you put the neck in floating in its "area" :then push the tank up? that's where my problem is at. If I put the neck on while the tank is lowered then I cant get it to go into the right position.. If I try with the tank up, Then I cant get the neck past the lock assebly brace

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Paxtonr,

My rs cap had the same problem using the repro neck. My fix was to file the stops in the neck so that the cap will rotate farther. Mine stops are now pretty thin (1/16"). Just don't wrench on it when puttting the cap on. It's still just a smidge short of perfect but it's hard to tell.

Silicone spray works well for getting the rubber sleeve to cooperate.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

·
Registered
16 Posts
Loosen the tank straps and then insert the rubber covered neck (that sounds strange). It helps if you do no have your license plate on because you can then see the top of the tank to fit it (the filler neck) into the rubber connecting hose. The connecting hose should already be attached to the tank. Hope that helps.
CarlC, I thought about just enlarging the holes for the filler neck. That should do it also, correct?
------------------
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of KC

[This message has been edited by Paxtonr (edited 12-06-2000).]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses! I will try it out tonite, sounds like I'll have another fight getting the cap to line up correctly once i get the neck in.

KD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts