Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can smell a strong fuel odor when I mash on the petal most of the time. But I can only smell it when the windows are down.
I have checked for leaks and have none. I even replaced some lines just in case.
Could the air be blowing gas right out of the carb or something?
If it helps with the info, I have a holley 600, with 68 jets, and a 31 discharge nozzle on basically stock 350

·
Registered
98 Posts
At a loss on this one. All I can suggest is to duble check your float level.

·
10,144 Posts
Do you have an air cleaner on the carb?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The floats are set so I can open the sight plugs and just nudge the side of the car and it seeps out.

Yes I have an air cleaner, summit brand chrome to be exact

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had this same problem on my 84 Bonneville daily driver and the smell was coming from a very small leak at the fuel line connection at the carb, it would leak only a couple of drops, but had a real bad odor and was barely noticeable until I noticed a washed spot on the manifold just below the fuel line connection on the manifold. Hope this helps. Doesn't todays gas smell great!!!!

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
the bitterness of poor quality remains, long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten

·
Registered
98 Posts
Man, Murf, the float level is copasetic. It runs good huh? No fuel reversion. All I can add, is whomp on it, shut down immediately and see what you can see by pulling the air cleaner off. If you don;t see gas sitting around, I would have to say you are ok.But gas is one of those things you never take for granted.

Check every inch of line for wetness or drops as Leo pointed out.

This is a raw fuel smell not exhaust?

Last chance saloon, check to make sure your gas tank is venting properly and not directly under the car. When you pull alot of fuel out of the tank is when I noticed the vent smell. I rigged mine differently to vent at the back of the car. No smell.

------------------
Gene C.
67 Chevelle SS 427/L88

[This message has been edited by 427TRI (edited 08-21-2000).]

·
Registered
571 Posts
Running a Holley I would venture a guess that one of the diaphrams, of the Accel pumps has ruptured and is leaking every time you mash the throttle,
Watch the base of the accel pump with the help of a mirror ( car not running) and have some body mash the throttle, you will be able to see the leak, it smells so bad because it is boiling on the hot intake, andis gone when you stop to look.
Good luck.

PS. One other thing does this only happen when the tank is 3/4 full or more?
If so then look at the filler pipe and area for a leak.

·
Registered
98 Posts
DING DING DING! We have a winner. Good call Rob, we all learned something there!

------------------
Gene C.
67 Chevelle SS 427/L88

1 - 8 of 8 Posts