Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to have trouble getting my engine to run right about 2 months ago. Nothing specific at the time but it kept getting worse. Everything seemed to be functioning but just couldn't tune the raggedness out of the engine. Suddenly ran very bad and the fuel pressure was bouncing between 9-15#'s. Normally set at 6.5#'s.

In short, the fuel pressure regulator seal broke apart and allowed the carb to have excessive pressure. This is the minor problem because as the seal broke apart it got into my carb and I mean into everything. These pieces are like very fine broken glass fragments and were forced in because of the high fuel pressure.

The reason for this situation is because the seal in the regulator was not designed for alcohol use and in the Chicago area we have 10% alcohol in all of our fuel. If you have any alcohol in your fuel make absolutley sure that your fuel system is designed to handle it.

[This message has been edited by RAY NORLIN (edited 10-23-2001).]

·
Registered
650 Posts
Interesting. I repair outdoor power equipment, and alcohol blended fuels are not recommended for such items as lawnmowers, chainsaws, trimmers etc. The rubber diaphragms in the carburetors apparently dry out much faster when exposed to ethanol blended fuels. I never suspected a similar thing would occur in a car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was not the rubber diaphragm that deterioted but some type of plastic(?) seal. It made quite a mess of my carb. I'm not bashing a manufacturer but the initails are BG. In all fairness they went out of their way to contact me and to explain things. Due to my schedule I am not an easy peerson to reach and they tried for 2 weeks before finally getting ahold of me. They called frequently and I returned the calls but it just took time to make contact. Customer service was very good but my carb isn't. They will fix the regulator and put a seal in it that is resistant to the alcohol. Hopefully all regulators will be so equiped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts