Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First a little background about the car, my buddy bought it last September. The previous owner was in the middle of a frame off resto but he got sick and lost the energy to complete. My buddy was fortunate enough to pick it up at a decent price. :thumbsup:

Now to my question at hand. I replaced the fuel line and hooked it up to the fuel pump correctly. I cranked it over but I did not get any gas up the the fuel pump let alone to the carb. I first thought the rod was missing that pumps the fuel pump, so I pulled the fuel pump but the rod was there.

How can I check the fuel pump to make sure it is good? Do you have any other ideas on why I am not getting fuel from the tank to the pump?

I have pulled the tank on my 68 quite a few times but I have never taken it apart to look at the pick up. :eek: How does the pick up work? Could there be an issue with the pick up?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:beers:

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Buy one of those three dollar Fram fuel filter kits with the clear plastic fuel filter. Install it between the end of the fuel tank hard line and the fuel pump input. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and start sucking to prime the fuel pump. The clear filter will let you see the fuel coming hopefully before you get a mouthfull.

I had to do this once when I left mine down for a little while doing a fuel pump change, and again after letting the car sit for years. A smart person would use a vacuum pump and I actually have one. With the ethanol they put in gas now, I just count it as one of my vegetables if I take a shot to the mouth.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yes it very well could be the pickup. There is a sock on the end of the tube that can plug and stop the fuel supply. You could try blowing air first from the fuel pump line toward the tank and listen for bubbles at the filler. Then wrap a rag around the air hose and blow from the filler until you get gas to the pump.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Lets see,,, what else,,,,? How about a fuel pump rod retention bolt that was left tight? Then when the engine is cranked the bolt holds the rod at full extension and won't let it follow the cam?
Hey, I just make this stuff up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts