Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant remember, havent tried it. But can the fuel pump pushrod be installed from the fuel pump mounting pad, or does it have to be installed from inside the block. (On a small block). Want to delete an electric fuel pump and regulator on my dads 67 nova and go to a mechanical pump. Thanks guys.

------------------
Black 69 camaro

·
15,370 Posts
It may want to keep sliding down and getting in your way, not letting you slide the pump actuator arm into the block. There's a couple things that'll help but one that I like to use is I split one of those small wire brushes apart so that I had a thin, wooden stick, like a popsicle stick, to hold the pump rod up and out of the way while I slide the pump arm in.

Good luck.

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]
HwyStar's Garage!

·
Retired
26,665 Posts
I should have elaborated. There are 2 bolt holes on the front of the block next to the fuel pump. One should have a bolt in it. You can replace that bolt with a longer one and it will work as a stop to hold the pushrod in place so you can install the fuel pump. Be sure to replace the shorter bolt when done to avoid other problems and to allow the pump to work as designed. You can also grease the pushrod up so it stays in place if you want... Joe's method is workable as well...

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I just did some fancy fenangling with my fingers using my pinky to hold the pushrod up while trying to place on the fuel pump plate and pump... it was a pain in the neck. I needed a third hand, but did finally get it in.

·
10,153 Posts
A bare hacksaw blade works great to hold the pushrod up.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
What works for me is a paint stirring stick from the hardware store. Just break off enough so it's a little bit bigger than the hole and stick it in there and it holds it up real nice. On my 86 pick up the smog pump is right by the pump and you can't get 2 hands in there this bailed me out a few times.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I always use a little bearing grease to hold it up there. Works good. Remember to have the cam on the back side of the pushrod lobe when trying to put the pump on, makes it a lot easier.
Good luck.

------------------
Jason Renschler
Gilbert, AZ
1968 Camaro - 350 4-speed
1969 Camaro - 350 4-speed
1968 Shortbed - 250 3-speed

[This message has been edited by jrenschler (edited 10-06-2002).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts