Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time working on a fuel pump line...

My fuel pump connection to the line that connects to the carb mysteriously started leaking right where the brass fitting connects the flared metal line. (1969 Camaro 396) I've tried removing it and reinstalling it--no go, leaks worse now. I guess it's a compression seal so the flared line will no longer seal?

Is there a preferred method for this line--metal vs rubber? Tried searching for this info, maybe I'm not searching the right terms. Questions:
  • Metal vs rubber line?
  • The brass connector that connects a flared metal line...do those wear out? I cannot find where to purchase a new one
  • Does this connector have to be a brass fitting? I've found similar looking fittings, but not sure if I need one that is specifically for a fuel pump or not?
  • Do you have to use a flared metal line out from the fuel pump? I've seen fittings that appear to enable directly connecting a rubber fuel line
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Stick with the flared connection, Stainless steel lines aren't malleable so they are more difficult to seal then mild steel lines, use a little fine emery cloth on the flare end to make sure there are no burrs. Loctite 565 is a great product for gas fittings. Another product is Gasolia sealant.
1600043157504.png

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Some here have used a copper flair washer. Sorry if I'm calling it by the wrong name.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
X2 on the flare gasket. Available thru grainger website. They work fantastic.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,298 Posts
Google "copper flare gasket". You may have a hairline crack in the steel line that only opens up when compressed or it's been torqued so hard the flare is damaged. Right Stuff Detailing makes formed replacement lines. Or you can make your own if you have a good tube bender. A copper flare gasket might work. I've never seen a carb fitting worn but it's possible. A proper fit will not require any sealant. Post a pic of what you have if possible. I don't like anything questionable when it comes to fuel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Attachments

·
3,386 Posts
How long has it been together and not leaking ? Its kind of strange for one of those fittings to just start leaking after being together for a while. I think I would have to take the line off and examine it real closely for cracks, especially in the flare part. I have never heard of having to use any type of sealer or gasket on a flared fuel line fitting. But I have never used stainless if indeed that is what you have.

By the way, make real sure it isnt leaking from above and running down the line.

·
13,978 Posts
The fuel line is angled where it goes into the flare nut. It should be straight.

Reactions: ilikeike

·
Registered
630 Posts
The fuel line is angled where it goes into the flare nut. It should be straight.
This is exactly what I notice as well. If the flare on the line is not seated on the cone in the fitting properly it won't seal.

With these connections you should be able to push the tube in and seat the flare on the cone and then screw in the nut and tighten. If you just line up the threads and screw in the nut "hoping" it will seat, you are heading for possible problems.

I'm no expert at this stuff, but here is a brake line I bent and flared this week. You can see that the line comes straight out at the nut and the bends are well up on the tube from the nuts

DSC_2305 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

Here is a comparable shot of the fuel line on my car, which I bent and flared years ago ... I took this PIC just now.
DSC_2306 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for the responses. I plan to replace the line and bend as needed so that should solve the "run it straight into the pump" comments. In terms of why it just started leaking, I have no idea. The line has been in place for some time. I just noticed it leaking after my last drive. Might have been slowly dripping for some time and I didn't notice, although I did check it about a couple of weeks ago and did not find anything.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just a couple of tips: Use a steel flair nut wrench, you will be able to tighten the connection better and wont ruin the flair nut. Also use a small drop of oil on the flair nut between the nut and the flair, keeps it from binding when tightening.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a couple of tips: Use a steel flair nut wrench, you will be able to tighten the connection better and wont ruin the flair nut. Also use a small drop of oil on the flair nut between the nut and the flair, keeps it from binding when tightening.

Thanks for the tips.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts