Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing up my restoration of my '69 and trying to put a mechanical fuel pump on my 383 crate motor. Both of the pumps that I have tried (Holley and Summit) run into interference with the input almost hitting the frame (or if I take the pump apart and rotate the assembly, the output almost hits the block). I have the engine mounted on normal motor mounts so the only thing I can think of is that the new Chevy blocks are made differently so the the fuel pump sticks out more. If I could get just a little more room than these pumps offer, I could probably safely get lines on it. But it seems that almost all brands of these 3/8 inch I/O pumps offer the same configuration of input/output, side-by-side with a pretty big gap in between and the input sitting very deep on the pump. Ive seen 1/4 inch pumps where the input/output were at the same level and that would be perfect if I could find that in a 3/8 inch model. I really want to stay with a high performance mechanical pump - going electric would be a last resort. Does anyone know of a fuel pump that might work for me?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went with edelbrock EDL-1721 on my 383 (68 camaro) and had to clock it.... but it fit and works great...

Do the input and output clock separately? If they don’t I’m afraid this pump body looks pretty much identical to the ones I bought that didn’t fit. Just too tall and the input almost hits the frame. I wish I knew what the problem was. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Do the input and output clock separately? If they don’t I’m afraid this pump body looks pretty much identical to the ones I bought that didn’t fit. Just too tall and the input almost hits the frame. I wish I knew what the problem was. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No but it clocks in smaller increments so the input and output could be fine adjusted. Good luck

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I used a Carter fuel pump on mine. Part of fitment issues can be the wrong engine or frame mounts allowing the engine to sit too low in the front.

Reactions: 4Tundra

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I have this one on my 383 in a 68. it is tight, but fits.
Holley 12-327-11
Part Number: 510-12-327-11
here is a picture before it was clocked. turn it as far right as possible. it will work

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, So you definitely know what I mean by a tight fit. You can fit a whole piece of paper in there... The Holley you recommend must have finer increments of adjustment than what I tried so that you can clock it just enough so it stops short of the block. Thats excellent news. Thanks.

I've also wondered what happens if the engine torques and moves enough to hit the body of the pump on the frame. From your picture you can see that there's only 3/4" clearance. Will poly motor mounts move that much?

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
Poly mounts come in tall and short. The clearance should not be a problem, that is the torque side. I have the tall poly mounts on my Z. No problem s with the pump. Like said, it should be able to turn enough to fit.

Reactions: 4Tundra
1 - 10 of 10 Posts