Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things like this are to be expected when buying an older high miles car. When I bought the car (89 IROC) It started up no problem, after a few weeks it would take a few tries. I figured it was the fuel filter so I bought one. But before I had a chance to put it in I was on my way to get some gas and it ran out luckily i was able to coast in to the gas station, however now it won't start. So I put in the new fuel filter, still won't start. And I think it may be the fuel pump??
Is it possible to put an inline fuel pump rather than replacing the in tank pump? I don't have the tools or place to replace the stock pump nor the money to pay a shop to do it. Any Ideas? I did check the fuse for the pump and crawled under the car to listen for the pump, didn't hear anything

------------------
1989 IROC Z28 5.7 TPI

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another question. I did a search and read about the fuel pump relay where is it? so I can check it.
1989 IROC Z28 5.7 TPI

------------------
1989 IROC Z28 5.7 TPI

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you don't hear pump, the easiest way to verify whether it's bad is to crawl under car. Most GM cars turn pump on for a few seconds to pressurize system when key is turned. If you disconnect the fuel pump wire harness connector near the tank, you can use a test light to verify power is reaching this point when a friend turns the key.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it turns out I had some bare wires at the fuel pump relay which shorted and burned the relay, also the pump went south.
Instead of dropping the rearend and exhaust I cut a hole in the rear floor pan and then cut the hard lines replaced the pump spliced the lines and saved a bunch of hassle I then covered the hole with a piece of sheet metal and used self tapping sheet metal screws to secure it!

thanx all

------------------
1989 IROC Z28 5.7 TPI

1 - 5 of 5 Posts