Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 Camaro which I recently worked on the sending unit to get my fuel gauge to work. Last night I took the car out for its first run of the spring. After returning and later going back into the garage, it smelled bad of gas. So my question is, is the O ring to seal the sending unit suppose to go on or face a certain diection? I know it has a little tab on it and just figured that was to help with removal of it. Also is everything supposed to be totally sealed up? I'm just wondering if the feed tube of the sender has a small crack around where it enters the top. :confused:

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The o-ring is as you thought.
The feed tube, connector where the sender wire passes through, and rivit where the grounds lug is attached, can all leak. When mine did, I kinda "filled" the depression where all that stuff comes thru with epoxy, it don't leak no mo!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The o-ring is as you thought.
The feed tube, connector where the sender wire passes through, and rivit where the grounds lug is attached, can all leak. When mine did, I kinda "filled" the depression where all that stuff comes thru with epoxy, it don't leak no mo!
I use RTV black around the sender wire rivet also as my little gaskets were starting to rot away. I did not notice any leakage today after going for another test run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts