Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the deal.
I'm at a point with my new engine where I need a new complete fuel system. I plan on using nitrous (up to 200 shot) down the line so i may need to account for that now. My questions come in here:
1. Do I want to use a sumped stock tank, or a fuel cell. (application is street strip 550 hp + nitrous later)
2. Anyone have good setups that sounds similar to my needs please inform me... I'm a newbie and only want to do this once, and RIGHT! Thanks guys.

Artie

P.s. If you're using a fuel cell, I have a 67 camaro, so what's working well for you, and if you have a pn that'd be great too.....

THIS IS ON A BUDGET :) :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
My engine makes about the same HP as yours (calculated, never dyno'd) and I sprayed 100hp to a 131mph pass. I run a 12 gal. fuel cell from harwood. They're all good so brand doesn't matter. Fuel runs into a mallory 140 pump and 1/2" aluminum line to the mallory return-style regulator, and I do use the return portion. That type reg. has 4 ports so I just ran 1 to the fuel solenoid. I know most guys would feel safer with a seperate pump and I do have another pump to plumb in but as long as I stay in the 100-150hp range of the nitrous, I should be OK. I don't know if that will be enough for your 200 shot though. The mallory is a bit pricey at about $250 but I got mine at a deal for only $100. My guess is that a holley 140 (black?) would work too. I like the mallory because it's quiet and reliable. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

I built my fuel cell, but RCI has similar cells with the same dimensions.

Most cut a hole in the floor for the sump and mount flush to the trunk floor....also works, and if you are neat and use trim on the hole it looks fine.

I wanted to do also encorporate a weight box and battery box...so i built this setup.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice fab work, Drag.

I guess for Artie, the main question is if he's willing to cut out parts of the trunk? If so, how much?
I've installed fuel cells and tank sumps. Both work fine, sumps require less hacking (so to speak).
Tech inspections require a fire wall between the trunk and the passanger compartment, when using a trunk-mounted fuel cell. So that's something else to consider.

I built an 800+ horse twin turbo 3rd gen Camaro for a buddy of mine. I sumped the stock tank and installed a by-pass fuel regulator under the hood. It's constantly circulating cool fuel up to the front, which is best for a street car. A rear mounted reg keeps the cool fuel in the cell/tank area, making for less hassle and cheaper costs. Ok for a drag car, could cause issues on a street car.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I like the Product engineering return regulator, since you can change the size of the return restriction.

thanks for the compliments.

Here is the "engine bay" side of it ;)

I like to keep it simple and clean when it comes to the fuel system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts