Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK let me lay out the situation. I am Building a BBC. Pro Systems is Custom Building my Carb. I have done some reading and it seems a safe bet to Upgrade the Fuel Lines / system. I plan to go with 1/2 line from Tank to carb, sump kit on stock tank, Inline filter (I haven't decided which yet), Electric pump and in line regulator. SO far SO good right. WELL, I asked Pro Systems to recomend a Pump that would work well on there carb in my set up as they have all the details. They said the Holly HP 12-150 was a good choice. Well as I looked into the parts needed I noticed the Pump only has 3/8" inlet and outlet. That dose not sound right? Why would you reduce to smaller inlet and outlet fittings to got threw the pump? Dose it matter? If it doesn't than why dose the fuel line need to be Upgraded? I am just confused, Should I blow off the Holly and try to find a Pump with 1/2 Inlet/outlet's? What do you guys think? Thanks, Arkangel77

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Fuel system Question 1/2" line into 3/8" pump fittings????

I got the answer to my Own question. Pump fittings are NPT. Inside of 3/8" NPT is just about 1/2" inch. Now I feel silly for making this post lol- O well, what ya gona do.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts

Cory, I have a big block that had a mechanical pump with no return line. We had a problem with vapor lock. I bought the holley 12-700 with 8 an in and out. We have the Robbmc fuel pickup with 8an fuel and return line also got the filters and regulator from Robbmc. The pump makes almost no noise and when the car starts you can't hear it at all. We made a bracket out of 1\8" steel and mounted the pump and filters to it. Then we mounted the bracket to the fuel tank straps.We put the quick connect fittings on each end of filters so we could take everything apart with out a lot of work. We put insulation around the fuel lines to try to keep gas cooler. This has worked very good for us. Everyone we talked to said the tank should be sumped but ours is not. The pump sets about the middle of the tank. This might give you a few ideals.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts

Cory, I have a big block that had a mechanical pump with no return line. We had a problem with vapor lock. I bought the holley 12-700 with 8 an in and out. We have the Robbmc fuel pickup with 8an fuel and return line also got the filters and regulator from Robbmc. The pump makes almost no noise and when the car starts you can't hear it at all. We made a bracket out of 1\8" steel and mounted the pump and filters to it. Then we mounted the bracket to the fuel tank straps.We put the quick connect fittings on each end of filters so we could take everything apart with out a lot of work. We put insulation around the fuel lines to try to keep gas cooler. This has worked very good for us. Everyone we talked to said the tank should be sumped but ours is not. The pump sets about the middle of the tank. This might give you a few ideals.
Sent you a pm Terry.

·
Registered
213 Posts

i got the answer to my own question. Pump fittings are npt. Inside of 3/8" npt is just about 1/2" inch. Now i feel silly for making this post lol- o well, what ya gona do.

LOL, You get that some times

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the Pics and the Post - It is definitely food for thought =)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts