Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 67, had a I6, I fixed that

but my gas gage goes all they way to E, I run out of gass and I only fill up with 11.5 gallons. I thought they all had 17 or so gallon tanks. I was supprised.
I figured my gas gauge was off because when I would fill up the gauge would read 3/4 tank. anyone else have a small tank? maybe I have a fuel pickup prob AND a gauge prob. Idk.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The car is advertised as having 18 gallons, but that never happens. It sounds to me that you may need to check the float in the sending unit that is in the tank. Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that would be if my only prob was the gas gauge, but if I fill the car all the way up, I run out of Gas with the gauge reads Empty, and when I fill up from there, the pump stops at 11.5 gallons.
and there are no bashes in the tank.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know if it is a repro or not. it looks old. If I have a broken pickup, then I must have a messed up sending unit/float.
too. I guess I will have to pull the tank and see whats up. I dont like getting gas every 11 gallons

-John

·
Registered
149 Posts
guys i have a 68 with a new repo tank and it looks to be 18 gallons and all i can get in it is 12 gallons bone dry gauge reads 3/4 full and 1/8 you are out if you find the problem let me know jeff

·
Registered
775 Posts
I don't know if I have a repro tank in my 69 or not, but I do know this, when my gauge reads empty, it is time to get gas. I have ran out before and it took about 14 gallons to fill my tank. There must be alot of room for error in gas tank manufacturing if their capacity is varying from 11 to 18 gallons.

·
Registered
278 Posts
He if you think you guys have it bad, i bought a 10 gallon fuel cell that only holds 8 gallons because of the foam baffling. Im now having a custom cell built.

Anybody need a 10 gal. aluminum fuel cell?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have seen 18 gallon Fuel cells.
why have a custom one built? I do know they are not aluminum. they are plastic.
-John

·
Registered
278 Posts
im having one custom built for two reasons. the first being that i want one out of aluminum. the second being that none really fit the trunk without major cutting. the only hole i want in the trunk if to be for the sump of the cell. that way if i ever want to restore the car back to original i wont have a ton of welding to do in the trunk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts