Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 69 Camaro RS, 350 that has no gas tank.
Do I need to buy the sending unit and pump to carb. line that has the return vent line? What was the original purpose of the return line...........safety?
Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I'm not sure specifically what the original intent was of the return line. The return was connected to the fuel line and allowed fuel to be bypassed to the tank once the pump reached pressure.

Having a return line will be a benefit to you. It will allow you to run a bypass type regulator which has less of a chance of vapor locking.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I'm building a 69 Camaro RS, 350 that has no gas tank.
Do I need to buy the sending unit and pump to carb. line that has the return vent line? What was the original purpose of the return line...........safety?
Thanks in advance for any info.
I have a 69 with a 350 which I just reinstalled the tank yesterday trying to get my gas gauge to work. Mine only has a 3/8" line going out to the pump no return lines. I removed the old pump last year and installed an Edelbrock Performer pump. I have no return lines.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Return line was an emission thing I believe..return gas vapors to tank ,not liquid gas return to tank, and is hooked up to canister behind left headlight from pump then to tank...Happy Motoring

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
is hooked up to canister behind left headlight from pump then to tank...Happy Motoring

The inline fuel filter is located in the front center of the engine.

On the 69 Camaro it is hooked up to the bottom of the inline fuel filter, then down to the fuel line and back to the tank. This was only on 4bbl small blocks 350/300 hp and LM1 and also the 396/325 and 350hp.

If you have a 3/8 single line, you dont need the return line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts