Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to stab the fuel tank back in my nova, but the old "padding" on the fuel tank straps is shot. Nobody makes a replacement for my car ('77 nova). Does anybody have any suggestions for something else I could use? Does anybody have any diminsions of some other tank strap padding?

[ 03-24-2003, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: travis ]

·
Registered
522 Posts
Travis..Just a thought.How 'bout using the padding
for a Camaro? You can still buy these.
If not cut them from a tire tube.If this is too thin,maybe double it up.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I once bought some rubber sheeting at home depot for another project. Once that other project was over, the rubber sheet got cut up for a host of other projects. It was thin and ribbed. I believe it was ment to pad the bottom area of a door - like a kick panel of sorts. I believe I bought it in the door section where the weather stripping and such are stocked. It was cheap and easy to work with. Also held up reasonably well to the elements (as well as rubber does). Although I imagine you'd be best to glue it to the straps to keep it from slipping out of place.

-dnult

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I got sucked in to buying an aftermarket kit for this from a supplier (Not Vendor bashing!). It was manufactured by Softseal. I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the package to see that I spent ten bucks for a piece of polystyrene about 4"X6" 1/4" thick, and four strips of roofing paper!! :eek: You could see the stripes that they print on this stuff to line it up on the roof. I have used roofing paper many times and It's definately cheap tar paper. You can buy a roll of this stuff for ten bucks. The factory used a similar paper, but it was much thicker. The moral of the story is be careful of what you spend your hard earned money on!
Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used a rolled foam strip with adhesive backing. I found it at a local hardware store and it's available in different widths and thicknesses. I got the idea after seeing it used as a seal and pad between a camper shell and pickup bed.

Larry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.