Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On first gen camaros is the fuel tank vented and if so where at? Reason I ask is when I fill my 67 up and park it on a steep grade (like my driveway) fuel runs out the gas cap area(need to park facing downhill)I don't overfill ,stop on the first click. Cap is new and fits tight. Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
955 Posts
The gas cap on the first gens is where the vent is. The tanks have to have a vented cap.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Opps, I missed the clicks part. They didn't start to click until the second generation. I don't know exactly when the caps changed but I know that my 75 "clicks".

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Just posing a question because I don't know for sure. But aren't the 1st gen caps supposed to contain pressure but allow air into the tank. Could it be that the cap is bad and allowing pressure / fuel to escape?

-dnult

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, the cap clicks??? [/QB]
When I said the first click I meant when pumping fuel into the tank at the gas station(Not tightening the gas cap). You know some people fill up, get the click from the pump and squeeze the lever again over and over to get the max amount of fuel in. I worked at a Chevy dealership and we saw many instances where overfilling caused the charcoal cannister to actually get filled with fuel. Anyway thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sometimes we're slow... ;) I drive around with mine filled too. It doesn't seem to stick around long enough to leak out.

It should stay in the tank. You may want to check the filler hoses too.

Timo

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I had similar problem with my 69 I replaced the cap and it stopped leaking. I think it had something to do with the rubber seal on it. JUST BE SURE TO GET A VENTED CAP!!!!! I have had the unfortunate expierence of colapsing a tank with out a vented cap. IT went from 16 gallon to 5 real quick. NOT fun at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I have a 69 Camaro Convertible that I got last year. I know it is far from original car and has had more than a couple of engines. Currently it has a 350. When I look under the car (between the front of the gas tank and the back of the differential) I can see a 5 inch rubber hose sticking out of the top of the gas tank. When I fill/overfill the tank, the gas pours out. Obviously this is not good.

I just spoke to one of the tech guys at year one. He says there should be a kind of venting piece that would be very difficult to locate. I do not need the car to be original, so he suggested the following.

Take the hose off the tank and loop it up above the tank, then as you get towards the underside of the car, loop the hose down. At that peak in the hose, near the underside of the car, insert a fuel filter. (I assume I could then fasten that filter to the underside of the car to secure it.) His premise is that this will provide sufficient venting without letting the gas slosh out. Also he suggested a vented gas cap.

Any thoughs or suggestions (other than don't drive the car til its fixed!)

Thanks

Ed

·
15,375 Posts
You definitely need a vented gas cap no matter what! If you don't, it's probably one reason fuel is pissing out the open return.

It sounds like the sending unit in the tank is a dual-line type..... supply to fuel pump and a return line. The return line was only used on engines with a Q-jet carb whether it was a big block or small block in 1969. You don't have to use it unless you're looking for originality in restoring the car, or are using a non-Qjet carb.

You can cap that return hose off a few different ways like folding that hose over and clamping it tight, or screwing a bolt into the end of the hose with some fuel-resistant sealer on it and then clamping the hose around the bolt. That'll take care of your leaks.
Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Joe,

Sounds like the vented cap would be enough to vent the tank, so I will cap the hose.

I assume the vented cap will not be an issue with gas sloshing out the back as it is a one way check valve?

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Originally posted by Ed in CT:
Hi,

I have a 69 Camaro Convertible that I got last year. I know it is far from original car and has had more than a couple of engines. Currently it has a 350. When I look under the car (between the front of the gas tank and the back of the differential) I can see a 5 inch rubber hose sticking out of the top of the gas tank.
Thanks

Ed
Sounds like your car is either an LM1 350/255HP (built before 1/1/69) or an L48 350/300HP (SS)(built anytime during the year)or an L34/L35 big block and should have two fuel lines. One is the 3/8" supply to the fuel pump, and the other is the 5/16" return line from the AC (brand name, not Air conditiong) filter on the front of the engine. Both of these fuel lines are connected to the pickup on top of the tank with 6" long peices of rubber tubing.

Looks like someone once upon a time disconnected your vent return line to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Guys.

It is a LA built car, so the cowl tag has limited information. It was never presented to me as an SS, so I assumed it was a plane jane. I need to check the build date.

I replaced the old gas cap because of a leaky gasket. So it looks like I need to go get another one....this time vented.

Mark on your comment - "return line from the AC (brand name, not Air conditiong) filter" I assume you are speaking about an AC Delco fuel filter? Does the filter have the provision for the extra line, or is there a bracket for the filter with the provision for the second line? My assumption is that the filter is not original either.

Looks like I have some investigating to do.

Thanks again.

Ed

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Look at the picture in my signature, way down at the very bottom is the AC filter with the return line on the top left.

4 barrel Rochester equipped Camaro's all had the steel return line, it should run right next to the 3/8" fuel line along the subframe, and passenger side floor of the car to the pump. The 4 engines I mentioned above are the only 4 thus equipped. If the car is an original small block, was made after 1/1/69 AND has two fuel lines, it's an SS. Before 1/1/69 it could be either an LM1 or L48.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Mark,

I do have a rochester, so it does not sound too painful to put things right.

From your picture I was able to go to the AC Delco site and located the filter - GF432 - then find a local parts store to get it for the weekend. $35.55, I can't complain. Delco's site was a great tool!

We are going to use off the shelf hard fuel line so I think that should do the trick (after picking up the vented cap as well).

No more leaky tank :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts