Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not great with the electrical side of things so I'm asking for help in checking my work.. I'm trying to solve a fuel gauge problem (68, console) .

Problem--fuel gauge sits at full plus.

steps I've taken:

1. disconnected the line from the sender in the trunk and found:

a. when the line to the gauge is grounded the gauge reads empty--conclusion: guage and line to gauge are ok.
b. connecting an ohm meter to the sender line and find 20 K -- conclusion: sender ok since the tank is under half full and 45 K should be half.
c. make sure that the sender line and the gauge line are making a good connection--then connect them up--gauge sits at full plus.

Overall Conclusion: the ground to the sender is broken at some point?

Am I right to think this or have I missed anything? Is there any good way to deal with a broken ground without dropping the tank?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
453 Posts
sthoma10 said:
b. connecting an ohm meter to the sender line and find 20 K -- conclusion: sender ok since the tank is under half full and 45 K should be half.
c. make sure that the sender line and the gauge line are making a good connection--then connect them up--gauge sits at full plus.
Sender is NOT ok. GM sending units are 0-90 ohms. You are getting a reading of 20k, which is 20,000 ohms. The reason why it is still at full plus.

sthoma10 said:
Overall Conclusion: the ground to the sender is broken at some point?
I would look at the ground wire first, where it connects to the frame. Make sure it is clean, tight and connected to bare metal. Use a star washer too, it digs into metal to make a better connection.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gagues are original (but maybe not to the car). Some of the wiring suggests that the console was added later.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts