Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thumbsup: looking For Some Good Advise. I Have A 1967 Camaro That Need Some Attention In The Rear Quarter Panel Dept. It Is Rusted Around The Wheel Opening And Half Way Up The Window Channel Area. The Door Jam And Trunk Opening Is Still Very Solid And Gaps Are Very Good. Should I Replace The Whole Thing Or Cut Up The Panel? I Would Appreciate Any Advise. Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
My 67 had rot down in the rear windshield corners that was working its way up the sail panel. It also had a vinyl roof. As I grinded away the plastic things looked worse. It didnt look so bad before I brought it home and statred poking. My windshield channel was swiss cheese too so I ended puting in new NOS quarters. I hear different stories on the repo quarters. Maybe someone else will chime in. Check your lower windshield corners for lurking rust. Climb in the trunk and look up at the corners of the windshield and the seams between the trunk and the windshield. If the windshield channel is bad its a strong possability the corners are rough too. The full quarter replaces everything up to the roof seam. Alot of work drilling out all the welds, but it was worth it for me.

Good luck and if your going to do the work and have any questions about where all the welds are just ask me. I never did this before and it wasnt real real bad but it is work. If you do take the quarter off you will probably want to check the wheel wells and the trunk drop downs and extentions.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I like to replace as much metal as possible as long as I'm into it. Most panels rust from the inside out, so it's not always possible to find all the rust by surface inspection. I'd even replace the roof on mine if I could find a new replacement. Haven't found anything for a gen II to date though. (I have rot in the rear corners of the top). :mad:

Hope your project goes well. :yes:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my 69 right now. After the body shop sanded down to bare metal it was discovered that both quarters are rotting around the wheel well. The body shop suggested replacing the full quarter rather than the skin as their experience has been skins don't fit very well. So after looking at the car I've decided to replace both full quarters, deck lid and tail pan. Pretty expensive but it will be worth it in the end. At least when you start tearing down the car that much you're going to find other problem areas that need to be addressed and I'd rather find out now before the paint goes on.

It always sucks to do the same job twice!! :noway:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Go full quarters. The guys here are right. I started with planning skins when I got mine, but it didn't work out that way. The fulls went on a lot easier. If you can find used originals or NOS use them. The reproductions will work but a ton of patience and massaging is required.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I am gonna go with all the others, and because I bought full also. Patches could only mean that it will come back.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
A quarter skin will probably eliminate the rust, but is NEVER the correct option. We WILL NOT do patch panels in our shop unless there is no full panel available for the particular car we are working. You DO NOT want a 6 foot seam down the side of the car. The labor to install and finish a half panels quickly makes up for the difference in the cost of the full panel.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all!! I have purchased a p/s NOS GM Panel and a repro d/s Goodmark panel. I am a little hesitant on using the repro. I have heard nitemares, although I have to keep reminding myself I am building a nice driver and not a show stopper. Thanks again!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
you will be much happier that you did. Have your shop prep the inside of the problem areas on the new quarters with undercoating or por15 or something. I did and feel more secure.
post some pics when your doing it.

Good luck !

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advise!!! I have a NOS panel on its way from NJ. The other one is a repro. I spent the day pulling the tailights and bumper etc. Can't figure out how to pull the licplate light through the rear panel??Does it disconnect from the light housing or...???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts